From the time Jenny Borschel (Lakewood) first played soccer at age 5, she liked attacking, assisting, stopping opponents and playing offense.
Last month, the senior midfielder capped a four-year career at Jacksonville, finishing the season second on the team in points (10) and assists (four) and third in goals (three). Overall, Borschel posted 18 goals, 11 assists and 47 points.
"I like to be involved in all parts of the game," Borschel said, "so the midfield position was perfect for me.''
In the transition from high school to Division I, Borschel, 21, found that the competition increased along with the time and discipline required.
"In high schoool, we practiced maybe 11/2 hours, and when I came to Jacksonville, it was nothing to practice 3-4 hours," she said. "Between soccer and academics, there was little free time.''
Her junior and senior years were highlighted with consecutive trips to the A-Sun Tournament and a championship this year, the school's first since 2000.
"Winning the conference was definitely a highlight," Borschel said. "There are three of us seniors, and we wanted to go out with a bang. ... That was a great way to finish the season and our time here."
The Dolphins (11-10-1) fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Florida State.
Borschel, who graduates in May, will live in Jacksonville for graduate school. She plans to keep playing, most likely in a beach league.
MORE SOCCER: Goalkeeper Aaron Ingham (Seminole) was named a second-team NJCAA All-American. The Georgia Perimeter College sophomore saved 105 of 117 shots and had a 0.57 goals-against average. Ingham also contributed 17 assists and 12 shutouts.
- Keeper Nicole Paquette (Seminole) started 11 games for Nova Southeastern and collected 28 saves, including a game-high seven against Lynn. The Sharks earned their first trip to the Division II NCAA Tournament.
FOOTBALL: Indiana State's Carl Berman (Boca Ciega) was named to the Gateway Conference all-academic second team. He has a 3.05 GPA in exercise science. The senior wide receiver caught 59 passes for 283 yards and four touchdowns.
- Coast Guard junior punter Jesse Harms (Lakewood/Naval Academy Prep) was named to the New England Football Writers Division II/III All-New England team. He led the conference with a 41.6-yard average.
- Ithaca's kicker Brett Kitenplon (Admiral Farragut) was named to his fourth consecutive Empire 8 All-Star squad, and was a first-teamer for the second time. The senior set school records in points (281), field goals (40) and extra points (161).
BASKETBALL: Boca Ciega grad Kelsey Roegiers-Jensen is second in scoring (14 ppg) for Georgia State, leads in assists with 28 and is averaging 5.2 rebounds.
In the final game of a five-game road trip, the senior guard had 14 points, seven rebounds and six assists in a 78-67 win over Jacksonville State.
- Army's starting senior guard Jen Hansen (Seminole) had 14 points and five rebounds in a 72-48 win over Troy. In a 65-54 loss to Seton Hall, Hansen scored 13.
- Southern Illinois sophomore guard Allison Fogle (Seminole) scored eight points in 11 minutes in a 81-49 win over Robert Morris.
- Vitor Boccardo (Admiral Farragut/Loyola Marymount) is a junior forward at West Florida.
News for this column may be faxed to Nancy Morgan, 445-4119; e-mailed to email@example.com; or sent to 710 Court St., Clearwater, FL 33756. Please include phone number.