1. Archive


Frigid temperatures contributed to four deaths Sunday, pushing the toll to 19 from a devastating storm of ice and snow as hundreds of thousands waited another day for their electricity to be restored.

Two men, ages 37 and 35, died after they tried to burn coal in a cooking wok to stay warm. Fire officials found deadly levels of carbon monoxide in their home.

A 56-year-old man may have suffered hypothermia, and an 81-year-old man was found dead at the bottom of his home's stairs.

"This is not over. As long as the power is still out, there are still people at risk," St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay said.

Thursday's storm spread ice and deep snow from Texas to Michigan and then blew through the Northeast late Friday and early Saturday. By Sunday afternoon, about 350,000 customers of St. Louis-based Ameren Corp. had no electricity in a roughly 300-mile swath from Jackson, Mo., northeast to Pontiac, Ill., paralleling the track of the storm.

The utility said Sunday it would not estimate when power will be totally restored.


Man blames molesting on wife's bingo habit

A man who pleaded guilty to molesting two girls told a judge he did it because of his wife's excessive bingo playing.

"My wife was never home," Floyd Kinney Jr. said during his plea hearing Friday. That did not sit well with Northampton County Judge F.P. Kimberly McFadden,

"Some people, when their wives are not home, decide to do other things, like clean their living rooms," McFadden said. "Your behavior is beyond the pale."

Kinney, 49, said his wife would sometimes argue with him over money and that he was angry she was spending too much on bingo.

"She would be going to bingo three, four times a week. I told her to stop going to bingo, and she said, 'If they had bingo every day, I'd go every day,'" he said.

Records say Kinney molested one of the girls, now 26, from 1992 to 1997. He sexually assaulted the second girl, now 17, for a year beginning in January 2005, records show.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated indecent assault. The charges carry a combined maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a $50,000 fine.