- High school students are welcome to audition for the Ticket To Broadway Variety Show at 7 p.m. Sunday and Monday at Richey Suncoast Theatre on Grand Boulevard in New Port Richey. Those auditioning should use the material they plan on using in the show. Last year's event, sponsored by the Pasco Education Foundation and Richey Suncoast Theatre, raised $8,500 in scholarship money for students seeking a degree in the performing arts. For information, call the Richey Suncoast Theatre at (727) 842-6777 or Chip Wichmanowski at the foundation at (813) 794-2705, (727) 774-2705 or (352) 524-2705.
The Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey. (727) 774-7832.
- Bayonet Point Middle School Concert, 7 p.m. today.
- Moon Lake Elementary Winter Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday.
- River Ridge Middle School Choral Concert, 7 p.m. Friday.
- Hudson Middle School Band Concert, 7 p.m. Monday.
- Cypress Elementary Winter Concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday.
- The Pasco County Chapter of the Compassionate Friends, a support group for parents and families grieving the loss of a child, will take part in a worldwide candle-lighting ceremony to honor the lives of lost children at 6:30 p.m. Sunday at the Orchid Lake Village Civic Association, 7425 Orchid Lake Road, New Port Richey.
- Gulfside Elementary Holiday Arts and Crafts Show, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the school, 2329 Anclote Blvd., Holiday.
- Athenian Academy, 3118 Seven Springs Blvd., New Port Richey, will celebrate the official opening of the charter school with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- Richey Elementary School, 6807 Madison St., New Port Richey will host a Silent Auction and Cookies With Santa Night from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 14. To donate items for auction, call Kim Stratman at (727) 774-3507.
- State Sen. Mike Fasano Legislative Essay Contest. Students ages 15 to 18 are eligible to participate in the essay contest of at least 100 words answering the question: "What is the most important issue that Governor-Elect Charlie Crist should tackle once he is inaugurated and why?" Two winners will be selected to serve as a page in the Florida Senate. Essays should be submitted by 5 p.m. Dec. 18 to Fasano's district office, 8217 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey, FL 34653. For information call (727) 848-5885 or toll free 1-800-948-5885.
Youth library events
Hudson Library: 8012 Library Road. (727) 861-3040; TDD, (727) 861-3024.
- Winter Ornament Class for teens and adults, 6:30 p.m. today.
- Trading Card Tournament, 2 p.m. Saturday. For elementary ages.
New Port Richey Public Library, 5939 Main St. (727) 853-1265.
The Family Book Club kicks off this month with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. Families are encouraged to read the book and gather to discuss the book at 10 a.m Dec. 16. Books are available at the library or can be downloaded at www.nprlibrary.org. Note: January's book will be Ben and Me for elementary ages and Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin for middle school students.
South Holiday Library, 4649 Mile Stretch Drive. (727) 834-3331.
- Craft Corner, 2 p.m. Saturday. For elementary ages.
- Emily E. Moore, a student at Bishop McLaughlin Catholic High School, has been named a commended student in the National Merit Scholarship program.
- Marlowe Elementary Kids With Character: Madeline McCann, Paisley Rivera, Cameron Moss and Brandy West.
- Fox Hollow Elementary Students of the Month: Beth Babinski, Hailey Brooks, Megan Campbell, Samantha Ceresoli, Ashley Clark, Brandon Cook, Tristen Davis, Ethan Erwine, Monique Flores, Justin Forys, Serena Gauci, Tyrah Green, Alyssa Grimes, Evan Hall, Heather Iles, Tricia Johnsen, Donovan Kempster, Ivy Kramer, Ma-Randa Lampasona, Chiacy Lo, Jocelyn Maldonado, Arianna Marti, Devin Masters, Marquis Mittelstet, Lucas Montano, Sarah Moore, Destiny Pallante, Gina Pennetti, Kelly Rich, Luke Richards, Nicole Slone, Caitlyn Smith, Christian Starling, Shane Tiller, Mary Turner, Cecelia Urban, Joseph Van Dine, Donovin Widmann, Hannah Williams and Courtney Young.
Send your school news to Michele Miller by fax: (727) 869-6233 in Port Richey, (813) 909-4611 in Land O'Lakes or (352) 521-6520 in Dade City; e-mail email@example.com; or send mail to 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. Call Michele Miller at (727) 869-6251 or toll-free at 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6251.