- High school students are welcome to audition for the Ticket To Broadway Variety Show at 7 p.m. Sunday and Monday at Richey Suncoast Theatre on Grand Boulevard, New Port Richey. Those auditioning should use the material they plan on using in the show. Last year's event, sponsored by the Pasco Education Foundation and Richey Suncoast Theatre, raised $8,500 in scholarship money for students seeking a degree in the performing arts. Corporate sponsorships are available. Individual tickets for the event, to be held in early February, are $10. For information, call the Richey Suncoast Theatre at (727) 842-6777 or Chip Wichmanowski at the Foundation (813) 794-2705, (727) 774-2705 or (352) 524-2705.
The Center for the Arts at Wesley Chapel, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. (813) 794-8772
- Wesley Chapel Elementary Winter Concert, 7 p.m. Thursday.
- Wesley Chapel High School Winter Band Concert, 7 p.m. Friday.
- Lake Myrtle Elementary Winter Concert, 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday.
- Weightman Middle School Band and Choral Concert, 7 p.m. Dec. 13.
- Sand Pine Elementary Winter Concert, 7 p.m. Dec. 14 and 15.
- Ruth Eckerd Theater Company presents The Great Alphabet Adventure at 10:30 a.m. and noon Dec. 19. Suitable for grades K-2.
- The Pasco County Chapter of the Compassionate Friends, a support group for parents and families grieving the loss of a child, will take part in a worldwide candle-lighting ceremony to honor the lives of lost children at 6:30 p.m. Sunday at the Orchid Lake Village Civic Association, 7425 Orchid Lake Road, New Port Richey.
- Pasco High School hosts a "PASSport to Sucess" meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday at St. Paul Missionary Church, Seventh Street, Dade City. The community is invited to attend this meeting aimed at getting more parents involved in their children's education. For information, call Jill Mink at (352) 535-5438.
- State Sen. Mike Fasano Legislative Essay Contest. Students ages 15 to 18 are eligible to participate in the essay contest of at least 100 words answering the question: "What is the most important issue that Gov.-elect Charlie Crist should tackle once he is inaugurated and why?" Two winners will be selected to serve for one week in 2007 as a page in the Florida Senate. Essays should be submitted by 5 p.m. Dec. 18 to Fasano's district office, 8217 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey, FL 34653. For information call (727) 848-5885 or toll free 1-800-948-5885.
- Land O'Lakes High School students Thomas Spock III and Paula Te have been honored with a nomination for the prestigious Wendy's Heisman Award. The program, awarded in connection with collegiate Heisman, celebrates the achievements of the nation's top high school seniors for accomplishments in and out of the classroom. Land O'Lakes High nominated these students for their academic aptitude, athletic talent and exceptional commitment to school and their community.
- Weightman Middle School FFA officers: president Reina Bolanos; vice president Garry Cohen; secretary J.T. Reale; treasurer Carrie Henning; reporter Alexa Peters; sentinel Shelby Thompson; student adviser Derek Piccinini; historian Danielle Haight.
- The following students from Wesley Chapel Elementary School have been chosen to have their artwork displayed at the Pasco County School Board office: Angel Mindiola, Sam Schneidmiller, Lily Trujillo, Anthony Vigna, Janelle Elliot, T.J. Park, Isaiah Johnson, Brandy Herold.
Send school news to Michele Miller by fax: (727) 869-6233 in Port Richey, (813) 909-4611 in Land O'Lakes, (352) 521-6520 in Dade City; e-mail email@example.com; or mail to 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. Call her at (727) 869-6251 or toll-free, 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6251.