1. Archive

DOING IT WITHOUT THE DRAFT

Are you a college football player who didn't get drafted Saturday? No worries, you still might turn into something special. Check out these NFL stars who were never drafted.

Kurt Warner

QB, Northern Iowa

After getting cut as a free agent by the Packers in 1994, Warner took the long road to the NFL by playing in the Arena League and NFL Europe. Signed to back up Rams starter Trent Green, who was injured in the preseason, Warner was pressed into action. Not only did he win the NFL MVP, but he was named Super Bowl MVP as the Rams won the championship. Shelton Quarles

LB, Vanderbilt

Despite being second-team All-SEC, Quarles went undrafted. He was signed as a free agent by the Dolphins, but was cut in training camp and spent two seasons in the CFL. Signed by the Bucs in 1997, he went on to be a key member of the Bucs' Super Bowl championship and ranks third on the franchise's tackles list with 985. Warren Moon

QB, Washington

No one drafted Moon because he refused to play anything other than quarterback. He went to Canada, won five consecutive Grey Cups and then, finally, got a crack with the Houston Oilers. He went on to be named to nine Pro Bowls and became the league's fourth-best passer. He became the first African-American quarterback inducted into the Hall of Fame. Adam Vinatieri

K, South Dakota State

Perhaps the greatest kicker of all time. Certainly on the short list. Known as one of sports most clutch players, Vinatieri has kicked two Super Bowl-winning field goals. This from a guy who spent a season playing in NFL Europe.

Dick "Night Train'' Lane

CB

Arguably the toughest player in NFL history. After a year of junior college and four years serving in the Army, Lane talked his way into a tryout with the Los Angeles Rams. Not only did he make the team, but he picked off 14 passes in 12 games and that's still an NFL record. He went to seven Pro Bowls, most while playing for the Lions, and is a member of the Hall of Fame. Willie Brown

CB, Grambling

Brown didn't even play defensive back in college. He was a tight end and defensive end. But after being cut by the Houston Oilers, Brown made the roster of the Denver Broncos. He was traded to the Oakland Raiders in 1967 and became one of the game's greatest defensive backs, earning his way to the Hall of Fame. You can still hear that Super Bowl XI call - "Old Man Willie!'' - as he returned an interception 75 yards for a touchdown as the Raiders beat the Vikings. Emlen Tunnell

DB, Iowa

Fresh out of the Coast Guard, Tunnell asked the Giants for a tryout. Before he was finished, he had 79 interceptions - second most in NFL history. He also was an electrifying punt returner. He made nine Pro Bowls and became the first African-American to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1967. Antonio Gates

TE, Kent State

Gates didn't play college football. He went to Kent State to play basketball and made a name for himself by leading his team to the Elite Eight in 2002. Despite not playing football since his senior year in high school, he was signed as a free agent by the Chargers. He has only played four seasons, but is on pace to go down as the greatest tight end in NFL history.

Other notable undrafted NFL stars

Larry Little, guard, Miami Dolphins

Marion Motley, fullback, Cleveland Browns

Jeff Garcia, quarterback, Bucs

Priest Holmes, running back, Kansas City Chiefs

Rod Smith, wide receiver, Denver Broncos

Jake Delhomme, quarterback, Carolina Panthers

Willie Parker, running back, Pittsburgh Steelers

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE