The Home Circle of Hernando and the Pasco Christian Homeschool Association's Hernando Chapter will present "An Orientation to Homeschooling" from 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at Community Bible Church, 5041 Griffin Road.
The event will include a used curriculum sale. Child care will be provided during the meeting.
For information, contact Cheryl Picerno with PCHA at 684-4844 or email@example.com, or Elizabeth Witherell with Home Circle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Various sites offer adult literacy classes
HEART (Hernando's Education for Adult Readers in Training) Adult Literacy offers free reading, math and language art classes, as well as free pre-GED testing and English for Speakers of Other Languages at various sites throughout the county:
- 5:30 to 8 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Career Central, 7361 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill.
- 9:30 a.m. to noon Mondays and Wednesdays, Northcliffe Baptist Church, 10515 Northcliffe Blvd., Spring Hill.
- 9 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Grace World Outreach Church, 20366 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville.
- 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, HEART Adult Literacy, 801 N Broad St., Brooksville.
Classes are for adults 18 and older. No appointments are necessary; walk-ins are accepted. Those attending must bring a Florida photo ID. Most sites offer free child care. For information, call 797-7018.
Boating classes are on the horizon
The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary will offer the following upcoming classes:
- America's Boating Course, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 21-23. This is a basic course that satisfies the requirements needed to be issued a Florida Boating Safety ID card. The cost is $30.
- Navigating with GPS, 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 11 and 13. Those who own a GPS should bring it. It is recommended that those who don't own a GPS refrain from purchasing one until after taking this class. The cost is $35.
- Weather and Boating, 9 to 11 a.m. Sept. 15. This course includes basic weather information. Participants will learn how the weather affects one's decisions on go-no-go situations. The cost is $10.
- Boating Skills and Seamanship, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 5-Oct. 24. The cost is $50.
All classes are at the auxiliary's building, 4340 Calienta St. For information, call John at 686-9582.
The auxiliary also offers free vessel safety checks. The checks can be done wherever the boat is kept, whether at home, at a ramp or dock. To schedule a safety check, call Jackie at 666-7239.
Work-at-home moms present a vendor fair
Working Moms and Little Helpers will host a vendor fair from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Sterling Hills clubhouse, 4411 Sterling Hills Blvd.
The group is a work-at-home mothers' networking group and the fair will include home businesses such as The Body Shop at Home, Premier Designs Jewelry, Leasing Logic, Mia Bella Gourmet Candles, Creative memories, Mr. Armadillo's Backyard, Discovery Toys and Cherish Bound.
For information, call Lynn at 584-1375.
Green Party to screen documentary Monday
The Hernando County Green Party will host its final film in its Green Screens series at 6 p.m. Monday at the Spring Hill Branch/Harold G. Zopp Memorial Library, 9220 Spring Hill Drive.
The film to be shown is The U.S. vs. John Lennon, a documentary detailing the Vietnam-era struggle between Richard Nixon's administration and iconic peace activist John Lennon. The film includes footage of Lennon and his music.
There is no cost to attend. For information, call 683-3151.