NEW PORT RICHEY
A Pasco County 911 dispatcher will be suspended for mishandling a July 9 call from a mother whose boys died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Ilona J. Smith will serve a 12-hour suspension without pay for negligence and insubordination, county personnel director Barbara DeSimone decided after a hearing Wednesday. "She recognized the error that she made," DeSimone said, "and she's accepting responsibility." Barbara Baudin called 911 after finding her sons Jules, 14, and Parker, 12, "cold as ice." The family minivan had been left running in the garage. Authorities said Smith, a lead communications officer, focused too much on treating the boys for being unconscious instead of addressing whether they were having difficulty breathing. Smith has 10 days to appeal the suspension. Police have yet to announce a finding in their investigation of the boys' deaths.
Woman to serve 2 years for arson
A woman accused of trying to kill her estranged husband by setting his Land O'Lakes apartment on fire pleaded to reduced charges Wednesday. Tammy Parrish Wade, 37, of Zephyrhills will serve two years in prison followed by two years' probation. She pleaded no contest to attempted felony battery - a charge that was reduced from attempted felony murder - and arson. Investigators said she told Michael Wade, "I'll burn your house down," two hours before the duplex at 5502 Land O'Lakes Blvd. was surrounded in flames in April 2006. Michael Wade wasn't home, but a family of five in the second apartment nearly died in the blaze. Wade, who has previous arrests on charges of burglary, larceny, battery and domestic violence, will undergo psychological and drug treatment as part of her probation. She also must pay $2,000 restitution. Circuit Judge Pat Siracusa gave her credit for the 15 months she spent in jail awaiting trial.
NEW PORT RICHEY
Man gets 10 years for two attacks
By coming forward after she was attacked in 2006, authorities say one woman was able to solve the rape of another woman that took place in 2004. The DNA from both attacks, authorities say, came from one man: Anthony Richard Palazzolo. The 26-year-old Port Richey man agreed on Monday to be declared a sex offender and to spend 10 years in prison for both attacks. Palazzolo was slated to go on trial for both this week. He faced 7 to 25 years in prison.