Wendall and Lucille Bennett celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary July 1, 2007, with family and friends. They were married July 4, 1947, in Carrollton, Ky., and moved to St. Petersburg in 1948 from Vevay, Ind.
Mrs. Bennett worked in food service for Pinellas County schools for 10 years. Mr. Bennett retired as a salesman from Lance Inc. of Tampa after 31 years and was a reserve deputy for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office for 18 years.
He is an Army veteran of World War II and a member of Masonic Sunshine Lodge 288. Both have worked as crossing guards.
They have five children, 10 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
Walter and Edith Braband celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary June 13, 2007, with a family dinner. They were married June 13, 1942, and came here in 1967 from Wayne, N.J.
Mr. Braband worked for Honeywell. Mrs. Braband was the principal at Madeira Beach Elementary School. They are residents and run the library at Freedom Square. Mr. Braband is an Army veteran of World War II.
They have five children, 11 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
George and Alice Iacono celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary July 22, 2007. They were married July 22, 1942, in Nashua, N.H.
Mrs. Iacono was a supervisor at Transatron electronics in Wakefield, Mass. Mr. Iacono was a ceramic tile setter, a Realtor and president of Local 3 in Boston. He served in the Army during World War II and was a liberator at Buchenwald concentration camp.
They have two daughters, five grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren and a great-great-grandchild.
Ferdinand and Dorothy (Outler) Malone celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a weekend at the Amelia Island Ritz Carlton hosted by their children and grandchildren.
They were married June 29, 1957, at First United Methodist Church in St. Petersburg. Both are St. Petersburg natives.
Mrs. Malone was a homemaker. Mr. Malone worked in banking for 31 years. He began his career at Union Trust Co., which later merged with C&S National Bank. He is a graduate of the University of Florida and Louisiana State University's School of Business. They have three children and three grandchildren.
Robert "Gene" and Audrey Shafer celebrated their 50th anniversary in June with a family cruise to the Caribbean and a renewal of vows with family and friends.
They were married June 22, 1957, at St. John's Cathedral in Milwaukee and moved here in 1966.
Mrs. Shafer was a teacher and reading specialist for Pinellas County schools and is a volunteer for Pinellas Braille Group. Mr. Shafer was an electronics engineer for General Electric. He is an Army Signal Corps veteran and a volunteer for Daystar.
They are members of the Cathedral of St. Jude the Apostle and have four children and eight grandchildren.
Peter and Olga Simonetti celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary July 8, 2007, with a luncheon with family and friends.
They were married July 12, 1952, at Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Churchh, Brooklyn, N.Y. They moved to Hudson in 1975 from New Jersey and to Pinellas Park in 1982.
Mr. and Mrs. Simonetti met while working for Emerson Radio and TV in New York. Mr. Simonetti worked for the federal government from the 1950's until he retired in 1973.
They are members of Caring Partners of St. Petersburg Hospital and have a daughter, two granddaughters and four great-grandchildren.
Charlie and Elaine Tatz celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a surprise party with family and friends at Isla Del Sol Yacht and Country Club and two days at the Don Cesar. They were married June 15, 1957, at Forest Hill Presbyterian Church, Newark, N.J., and moved here in 1991 from Scotch Plains, N.J.
Mr. Tatz was a head PGA golf professional in New Jersey. He currently plays in local senior PGA tournaments and is a lifetime member of PGA of America. Mrs. Tatz was a homemaker and a golf shop manager.
They are members of the Isla Del Sol Yacht and Country Club and have two daughters and two grandchildren.
James B. and Lorraine J. (Mydlo) Welch celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary June 2, 2007, with family and friends at the Wine Cellar in Redington Beach.
They were married March 27, 1957, in Halifax, N.C. Originally from New York, they moved here in 1976 from Fort Belvoir, Va., and lived in Seminole for 27 years before returning to New York.
Mr. Welch retired from the Army as a staff sergeant. Mrs. Welch worked for ParadyneCorp. They were members of the American Legion and its auxiliary and have two children, three grandchildren and a great-grandchild.