61st Birthday Celebration: 2 to 4 p.m. Aug. 18 at the VFW Chester McKay Post 7987, 7445 Chester McKay Drive, Veterans Village. The post will celebrate with a pig roast. Music from 3 to 5 p.m. Tickets must be purchased by Aug. 13. For reservations, call (727) 376-3502.
Thanksgiving in August: 1 to 4 p.m. Aug. 11 at the Donald Michels Jr. VFW Post Auxiliary Post 6180, 11551 Osceola Drive, New Port Richey. This traditional Thanksgiving dinner will include Music by Jim. Donation: $5. For reservations or information, call (727) 863-8824.
All kinds of eats: The Marine Corps League, 7241 Baillie Drive, New Port Richey, offers the following August events to the public:
- Full dinners at 5 p.m. every Wednesday. Menu varies. Donation: $7.
- Pizza night from 4 to 8 p.m. every Friday. Great Prices: 16 inch with cheese is $6; with one topping is $7; with the works is $8. There is a box charge of 50 cents.
- Breakfast from 7:30 to 10 a.m. every Saturday. Donation: $4.
For information, call the Marine Corps League at (727) 848-1688.
New Business Seminar: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Aug. 11 at Career Central Spring Hill, 7361 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. This seminar, sponsored by the Pasco-Hernando chapter of SCORE, is for those interested in starting a business in Pasco or Hernando counties. Topics will include applications, registering fictitious company name and more. Handbook provided to each participant. Pre-registration suggested, but not required. Course fee: $20. For reservations and information, call (727) 842-4638.
Hamburgers, subs and wings: All are on the menu this month at Larry Tawney Memorial VFW Post 4412, 13129 Colony Road, Hudson. Call (727) 856-0051.
- Hamburgers and hot dogs at 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Donation: $5. Event includes live music by Mixed Bag and a 7 p.m. drawing for NFL season tickets.
- Meatball subs at 6 p.m. Aug. 11. Donation $4. Music by Kerry's DJ Jam.
- Wings & Karaoke by Howling Wolf at noon Aug. 18. Visit by Post 8002. Leftovers will be served at 6 p.m. with Kerry's DJ Jam.
Movie to help the SPCA: 3 p.m. Aug. 18. First Presbyterian Church of Port Richey, 7540 Ridge Road, will show March of the Penguins on a 60-inch wide-screen television provided by Buddy's Home Furnishings. The cost of admission is a donation to the SPCA of dry dog or cat food, cat litter, blankets, sheets, towels, leashes, laundry detergent and more. Snacks will be available. Visit www.fpcportrichey.org or call (727) 849-1898.
Send all West Happening events to Lucille Lazich, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668, fax (727) 869-6233 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.