CSC Luncheon: 11:30 a.m. today. The Community Service Council of West Pasco will meet at Catches Restaurant, 7811 Bayview St., Port Richey. The speaker will be State Rep. John Legg. His program will review the 2007 legislative session along with what is expected for the upcoming 2008 session. All topics will be relevant to local issues. Call Mary Balestrieri for reservations at (727) 378-0337.
Sizzling Summer Dinner Dance: at the New Port Richey Elks Lodge on Aug. 24. Dinner from 5:30 to 7 p.m., dancing from 7 to 10 p.m. The lodge is at 7201 Congress St. Tickets: $6.50 to $9 donation. For information, call (727) 848-7663.
Diabetic Education Classes: CARES and the Pasco Eye Institute offer free diabetic education classes at the Claude Pepper Senior Center, 6640 Van Buren St., New Port Richey. The next one is at 2 p.m. Aug. 16. Alice Brougham, R.N., C.D.E., conducts the classes, which are held at 2 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of the month. Each class covers a specific topic, such as food planning and diet, nutrition, exercise and medication management. Call the Claude Pepper Senior Center for information at (727) 844-3077.
Veterans Memorial Park August Schedule: The recreation center is at 14333 Hicks Road, Hudson. Phone: (727)861-3033.
- Swim Under the Stars: 8:30 to 11:30 p.m. Friday. Cost: $1.75 for adults and $1 for children ages 2 to 17.
- Tiny Tots Playtime: 10 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Fridays, will return Aug. 14. This playtime is for ages 1 to 3 with parent(s) required to stay with child. No cost. Call the center for information.
- Water Aerobics: 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in August. Cost: $3 per class.
- Karate: 5:30 to 9 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday. Instructor: Marty Betts. Cost: $30 per month, $25 for additional family members. Visitors welcome. Call the center for information.
- Gymnasium: The gym is open all week, offering different sports or open gym. Call for details.
Coming up in the year will be golf classes, group ballroom dance classes, creative dance, woodcarving and more. Schedules will be published as received.
CARES Senior Enrichment Centers. The August schedule for each center (Elfers, Hudson and New Port Richey) is available online at www.caresfl.org.
Send all West Happening events to Lucille Lazich, 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668, fax (727) 869-6233 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.