In January, we asked for your ideas and tips on how to get ready for the Battle of the Books at your school. Michael Cory, a fifth-grader at Clark Elementary School in Tampa, has won a string backpack and Subway coupons for sharing these great tips:
- Read the books at least twice.
- Look at the author's name every time you pick up the book.
- Make a list of quotes from each book to study.
- Practice identifying the quotes by author and title.
- Once you are on the team, practice with your teammates.
- Practice using a buzzer. It is very important to be quick, but you don't want to hit the buzzer too soon by accident.
- Don't get angry at your teammates.
We will continue awarding string backpacks and Subway coupons for the best Book Battle prep ideas, so if you have book battled before, e-mail a study skill or game strategy to email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, grade, teacher, school and mailing address along with your submission.
NIE education specialist Jill Wilson can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (727) 892-2200.