I have always been a proponent of roasting when you feel a little lazy. After all, what could be better than letting the oven's high heat do the work for you?
Though most of us find roasting a perfect way to cook chicken, meats and even vegetables, we use it less often to prepare seafood. Sometimes the high heat can be too much for delicate fish but, with careful monitoring, I thought it could work in a shrimp dish that is normally prepared on the stovetop.
I decided to sequentially cook the ingredients in the oven and was thrilled with the results. Better yet, I didn't even break a sweat.
The cooking time will vary with the size of the shrimp. To save even more time, buy peeled and deveined shrimp. Serve over pasta or rice to absorb the juices.
Tonight's solution: Shrimp, Tomato and Pancetta Roast
To make the meal: Brown rice and mixed green salad
If you have a great-tasting main dish recipe that uses no more than five ingredients and can be made in 30 minutes or less, tell us. (Salt, pepper and oil for greasing a pan don't count.) Send recipe to 5:30 Challenge, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Eighth Floor, 72 Marietta St. NW, Atlanta, GA 30303, or e-mail email@example.com.
Shrimp, Tomato and Pancetta Roast
1/4 pound pancetta, sliced ? inch thick and chopped
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, patted dry
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
3 cloves garlic, minced
Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, spread out pancetta. Cook for 3 minutes, stir and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until it has rendered its fat and crisped.
- Remove from oven. With a wadded paper towel mop up excess fat.
- Add shrimp and toss to combine.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and lemon zest and toss to combine. Spread out in a single layer and roast for 5 minutes.
- Remove and stir to combine, turning shrimp if necessary. Return to oven and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until shrimp is just cooked through. Stir to combine and transfer to a serving bowl.
Makes 6 servings.Nutritional information per serving: 189 calories (percent of calories from fat, 19), 29g protein, 8g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 4g fat (1g saturated), 156mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium.