Advertisement
  1. Archive

AL FAYED DESCRIBES VAST CONSPIRACY IN DIANA'S DEATH

The man who claims Princess Diana and his son were killed in a wide-ranging conspiracy led by Britain's royal family said Monday that dark forces within the country's establishment would not accept a marriage between a princess and a Muslim.

Mohamed Al Fayed testified at a coroner's long-delayed inquest that the cast of conspirators involved in the 1997 deaths of her and Dodi Fayed in Paris included Prince Philip, Prince Charles, former Prime Minister Tony Blair and Diana's sister, Sarah McCorquodale.

He also accused as being part of the alleged plot and cover-up Diana's brother-in-law Robert Fellowes; two former chiefs of London police; driver Henri Paul; the CIA; Diana's attorney, the late Lord Mishcon; two French toxicologists; members of the French medical service; and three bodyguards he once employed.

Lengthy investigations by French and British police concluded that the Aug. 31, 1997, crash in a Paris tunnel was an accident, and that driver Paul, who was employed by Al Fayed's Ritz Hotel, was drunk and speeding.

Al Fayed said he had been thwarted in attempts to prove his theory that the deaths were part of a plot led by Prince Philip.

"How can you want me to get the proof?" Al Fayed said. "I am facing a steel wall of the security service, Official Secrets Act. How can you tell me?"

Asked if Queen Elizabeth II was in on the plot, he said, "I do not think the queen is important in that."

Al Fayed said Charles' interest was to get Diana out of the way so that he could marry Camilla Parker Bowles. "They finished her, they murdered her and now he is happy," he said.

He said Diana had told him she was pregnant in a telephone call an hour before the couple left the Ritz Hotel on the brief journey that ended with the crash.

Medical and forensic experts who have testified at the inquest have said there was no evidence that Diana was pregnant when she died.

The coroner asked Al Fayed if it was possible that he was wrong about his conspiracy theories.

"I am certain. I am the father who lost his son. And I know exactly the situations. I know exactly the facts," Al Fayed said.

Information from the New York Times was used in this report.

Fast facts

The accuser

Mohamed Al Fayed, 75, is the son of a Cairo school inspector who rose from the management of a furniture store in the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh to the ownership of Harrod's department store, a 65,000-acre estate in Scotland, and the Fulham soccer club in London. He spent millions of pounds in legal battles to ensure the inquest would finally be held under a British law that requires a coroner to rule on the cause of death of any British subject who is repatriated after dying abroad.

New York Times

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Advertisement
Advertisement