There was a time when the Clearwater Lawn Bowling Club used to be one of the hottest places in town. Unfortunately, that time was about 30 years ago. Since then, the club has seen a slow decline in its membership. At its peak, there were more than 400 members. Now there are about 90.
"The membership diminishes, people die, and nobody ever thought about building up the membership,'' said Rick Marinaccio, a Clearwater Lawn Bowling Club member who is part of its recruitment committee. "And where we're located, off Sunset Point Road, we're kind of hidden away. So if we can get people to come out, they'll find out how fun lawn bowling can be.''
That is the point of the club's "Saturdays on the Green'' promotion. The club will host open houses on Saturdays, Nov. 8, 15 and 22 from 10-4 p.m. (1040 Calumet St., off Sunset Point Road). People will be able to tour the grounds and learn the rules of lawn bowling. Marinaccio says people of all ages are welcome. A yearly membership is $135.
The West Coast Women's Golf Association held a tournament last week at the Renaissance Club in Sun City Center. Jeanne Rothe was the AA Flight Gross winner with 77. Kathy Lawrence was the net winner with 71. In the A Flight, Sandy Alpaugh was the winner with 79.
- Several locals competed in the Florida Junior Tour event at West Bay Golf Club in Estero on Oct. 11-12. Matt Cote of Palm Harbor shot 75-78-153, Devin Hernandez of Seminole shot 81-78-159, Dunedin's Justin Foster shot 81-81-162, Seminole's Derek Hernandez shot 83-84-167, Gus Myers of Seminole had 85-87-172, Matt Baylor of St. Petersburg shot 82-90-172, Chase Merkley of St. Petersburg shot 92-81-173 and St. Petersburg's Joseph McCarthy shot 90-86-176. Greg Carrier of Ponte Vedra Beach shot 146 to win.
- The County Golf Association held a better ball tournament on Oct. 13 at Crescent Oaks. The team of Dan Beckman and Bobby Kilgore won the regular division gross with 65. The senior division gross was won by Tim deLeon and George Leone. The overall net champions were Gary Kelley and Joe Hannigan.
St. Petersburg Country Club held its rookie championships on Oct. 11-12. The boys 18 singles winner was Michael Girardi, who defeated Ryan Simmons 8-5 in the final. The boys 14 singles winner was Justin Davis, the 12 singles champion was Pedro Sarabia and the 10 winner was Luis Sarabia. On the girls side, Jacquelyn Keen was the round-robin winner in the 14 age group, the 12 singles winner was Dunja Kisin, and the 10 singles winner was Daniela Bellini.
- Largo's Alexis Franco won the girls 10 bracket at the Harbour Island Athletic Club Local Fall Championships on Oct. 4-6. Franco's sister, Yasmin, was second in the 14s.
- Safety Harbor's Nathaniel Diehl made it to the finals of the Temple Terrace Local Junior Halloween Classic on Oct. 11-13 in the boys 14 singles. He lost to Joseph Fisher 7-5, 3-6, 6-2.
- Innisbrook Golf and Tennis Resort held The Best of the Bay Tennis Tournament on Oct. 10-12. It was a men's two-flight tournament featuring 4.5 and open divisions. The 4.5 singles winner was Tom Grafton of Innisbrook. The doubles division was won by St. Petersburg's Nzhi and Pipe Ho. The open singles champion was Lakeland's Mike Koprivica and the open doubles was won by Ben and Paul Kronk.
LaFleur's Gymnastics Club of Largo competed in the Gasparilla Invite in Tampa on Oct. 11-12. The Level 3 and 5 teams earned first-place honors, while the Level 4 team finished third. Level 3 winners were Madelyn Sarlo (bars, beam, floor, all-around), Delaney Staack (vault, beam, floor, all-around), Myah Luper (vault, floor, all-around), Ashleigh Rao (beam, all-around), Briana Egger (floor), Molli Dodaro (beam), Juliete Guzman (bars, beam, floor, all-around), Allison Hollaway (bars) and Haley Wilt (bars).
Winners in Level 5 were Katie Jelenc (bars), Amanda Biglin (bars), Megan Perry (floor), Cassidy Marks (vault, beam, floor, all-around), Amber Brickey (vault, floor, all-around), Gina Pergolizzi (floor, all-around), Natalie Morrison (vault, bars, floor, all-around), Madeline Cappelli (floor, all-around), Bailey Schwingdorf (vault, all-around), Taylor VanHaerents (bars, beam), Hannah Foster (vault, beam, floor, all-around), Stella Sardo (vault, bars, beam, all-around) and Stephanie Bratic (vault, bars, floor, all-around).
Level 4 winners were Madison Swenson (vault), Megan Weisenberg (beam, floor, all-around), Savannah Payne (floor), Michaela Newman (vault, floor), Madison McBroom (vault), Alexa Matessich (floor), Sydney West (vault, bars, all-around), Hannah Nestler (bars, floor, all-around), Skylar Hopkins (bars, all-around), Alyssa Weidner (floor), Eleni Psaltis (beam, floor), Katelyn Puttick (vault), Sarah Nestler (vault, bars, all-around), Lauren Palaganas (vault, floor, all-around) and Shelby Payne (vault).
Marreese Speights, a former University of Florida standout and first-round pick of the 76ers, will hold a free camp for girls and boys ages 7-18 from 9-4 p.m. Saturday at the Childs Park Rec Center in St. Petersburg. For information, call 893-7463.