A man was found shot to death early Saturday behind a house at 1364 Friend Avenue, police said.
Police did not identify the man because his relatives had not been notified but said that the victim and the assailant appeared to know each other. The assailant entered the victim's house, shot him, then ran to a waiting vehicle on Missouri Avenue, police said. They were searching for new model pickup of dark color, possibly a Dodge Ram, with an extended cab and chrome rails on the bed.
Public can comment on use of preserve
Tuesday, proposals related to the use of Brooker Creek Preserve and the 878-acre Wilde property will come before the Pinellas County Commission.
The public will have a chance to comment on land use and zoning changes that could allow active recreation on 100 acres. The meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. at the commission assembly room, fifth floor, Pinellas Courthouse, 315 Court St., Clearwater.
For more information go to www.pinellascounty.org/BCC_agenda.htm.
Car damaged because of sticker, police say
Police say someone scratched "KKK" into a Lexus, urinated on it, lit an American flag on fire and burned cigarettes into the car because it sported a bumper sticker supporting Sen. John McCain for president.
Police said the car also had bumper sticker opposing Sen. Barack Obama. Police say it happened Saturday at about 8:30 a.m. at 1400 Gulf Boulevard.
The 2006 Lexus LS 430 is owned by Frank Armstrong, 41, of Clearwater. Police estimated the damage at $4,500. They said no surveillance footage or witnesses have been found. Investigators are calling it a hate crime.
Broken pipe leads to boil-water advisory
Because of a broken utility pipe, Tarpon Springs water officials advised some residents Saturday to boil their water before drinking or washing vegetables and to take precautions while showering or bathing.
The warning applies to an area roughly bounded by Kreamer Bayou, Sunset Drive, Riverside Drive and Peninsula Avenue.
When a pipe breaks, pressure abates, which can allow bacteria and viruses to enter the water system.
Residents should boil water for at least a minute before drinking, washing food, freezing for ice or for brushing teeth, the advisory said.
No one with open sores or surgical wounds should bathe in the water, nor should anyone ingest water while bathing, the advisory said. The advisory will stay in place for a few days after the break is repaired.
For questions call the city during business hours at (727) 942-5606 or after hours at (727) 445-4604.