Out of Bounds
Who said deer aren't dangerous? A 61-year-old woman in Butte, Mont., got into a tussle with a doe Monday when it tried to attack her dog. Carol Lince said she let her three dogs outside, then heard one "screaming bloody murder." She went outside and saw a doe attacking her smallest dog. Lince kicked at the deer's hind legs to try to get the animal off her dog, but she said the doe began to ram her with its head, pushing her into a fence. Lince hit the deer's head with her fists until it eventually jumped the fence and ran off. Lince said she suffered bruises to her abdomen from the ramming. A veterinarian said the dog was okay.
Check it out
Boats, cleanups, fishing, paddling
- The Tampa Bay Boat Show begins today at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa. Expect to see hundreds of boats, accessories, fishing gear, trailers and safety equipment. The free event opens at 10 a.m. today and continues through Sunday.
- A reminder that the 15th annual monofilament cleanup day is Saturday. The goal is to clean up thousands of feet of fishing line from area coastal island sanctuaries. The event is sponsored by Tampa Bay Watch and Audubon of Florida. To volunteer, contact Rachel Arndt at (727) 867-8166.
- The Billy's Stonecrab Restaurant Kingfish tournament off Tierra Verde is Saturday. Fishing starts at sunup, and the weigh-in is at 3 p.m. at the restaurant. The cost is $100 per boat. Call (727) 458-6731 or (727) 866-2115.
- The Treasure Island Classic Outrigger race is Saturday and Sunday off the Island Inn at Treasure Island. The event is open to kayaks, surf skis and outriggers. Registration for the races on both days is 8:30 a.m. and costs $25. For information, call (727) 641-8012.
- The Suncoast Kingfish Classic will be held Nov. 1 off Treasure Island. Registration and captains' meeting is Oct. 31 at Gators Cafe. The weigh-in from 3 to 5 p.m. at the restaurant. For information, call (727) 367-2942.
Change in seasons in Central Zone
Avid hunters should know that the last day of crossbow season is today. On Saturday, muzzleloading gun season opens and runs until Nov. 2 in Florida's Central Zone. For a complete list of the hunting seasons, go to myfwc.com.
List of five
What are your favorite outdoors pursuits in Florida? Send your list (and a one- or two-sentence explanation of why) to firstname.lastname@example.org and put "List of five" in the subject field.
Ask the experts
Got a question pertaining to one of Florida's great outdoors pursuits? E-mail it to email@example.com and put Q&A in the subject field. We'll try to find an expert to provide an answer in our outdoors pages.
Have sailing or fitness sports news? To submit information, go to community.tampabay.com and click on the "Submit info here" link.