1. Archive


All tuberculosis patients in Pinellas County soon will receive hospitalization, according to Dr. R.D. Thompson, director of state tuberculosis sanatoria.

Dr. Thompson communicated with health officers, county commissioners and tuberculosis associations in the counties in the Southwest Florida Tuberculosis district, which requested that applications be filed at once.

It is the plan of the state tuberculosis board to open the new Southwest Tuberculosis Sanatorium in Tampa on or about Nov. 15. The board has taken over the hospital at Drew Field and is remodeling facilities there to permit the hospitalization of 400 patients.

The board recognized that far advanced patients who remained in their homes were jeopardizing the health of their families, friends and the community. That's why they authorized Dr. Thompson to accept all types of patients for treatment and isolation.

Oct. 23, 1946

$1-million for school projects discussed

CLEARWATER - A tentative program calling for about $1-million in school improvements, not including a proposed new senior high school building in the Crest Lake section, was approved last night by a special committee representing all parent-teacher associations and principals meeting at Clearwater High School.

A committee was to meet this week with Dr. H.L. Johns, who was making a state survey for a new school building. The program was outlined as follows:

For South Ward, an addition to replace the old brick building and increase student capacity to 500 at a cost of $400,000.

North Ward would get a new addition over the cafeteria, divide the auditorium into classrooms and make new rooms in the basement at a cost of $60,000.

Belleair would see a new cafeteria addition and four classrooms, costing $125,000.

At the Senior-Junior High School, wings would be built from both buildings of two stories at a cost of $200,000.

Officials also proposed a new high school for black students at a cost of $100,000.

H.H. Baskin, a member of the local trustees, suggested a consolidated program whereby finances would be spread over several districts.

It was proposed that a site for a new consolidated high school building be found in the eastern part of the city. The Crest Lake area, where the city owned 60 acres, was suggested.

Oct. 24, 1946

Commissioner denies secret meetings

CLEARWATER - City Commissioner Timothy Johnson revealed yesterday that he had placed in the hands of the city manager certain facts in regard to the Police Department but denied that any secret meeting had been held. Mayor George R. Seavy indicated he had been investigating reported secret meetings of other members of the city commission.

Johnson said he had placed the matter in the hands of City Manager F.L. Hendrix. He also said the reports of drunkenness on the part of some of the policemen may be brought before an open session of the City Commission. He said he was ready to bring out the facts.

It was reported yesterday that the conduct of the three police officers was being questioned as a result of complaints by citizens.

Mayor Seavy criticized the reported meeting of three commissioners. He said this was contrary to standards.

Oct. 25, 1933

Sponge City citizens request paving

TARPON SPRINGS - Petitions were received by the board of city commissioners for the paving of Spruce and Maragos streets, but no action was taken.

City Engineer Harry McCreary informed the board members that the money first had to be raised by the owners of the adjoining property to defray the cost of curbing and hauling of bricks.

Bricks were to be used from Florida Avenue in Sunset Hills, which was being reduced from 24 feet to 18, considered sufficient for travel on that road.

Oct. 26, 1933

Chamber moves to get lighted beacons

CLEARWATER - Boat owners of Clearwater were called to meet at the Chamber of Commerce on Thursday afternoon for the purpose of assembling information to be sent to the lighthouse department in furtherance of the request for lighted beacons for Big Pass and Little Pass.

Before the request for the beacons could be granted, the government would have to collect considerable data in regard to the number of boats which used the pass, and the necessity for such lights. All boat owners and boatmen were asked to be present.

Oct. 22, 1946

Missing boat 'Patricia' returns to port

TARPON SPRINGS - The missing boat Patricia turned up safe and sound at Tarpon Springs yesterday morning after Coast Guard planes had combed the gulf for two days in an effort to locate the vessel.

Using radar to combat a heavy overcast, the planes found and identified 50 other boats.

The Patricia, a fishing boat, sailed from Tarpon Springs last Monday. The owner, M.H. Bailey, became alarmed when the boat did not come back after five days.

John Smith and Irving Jefferson, the two men aboard the boat, said they ran into trouble about 60 miles offshore when the tossing of the boat stirred up rust in the gasoline tanks and fouled the lines.

They anchored there for several days while they took the system apart and cleaned it.

Oct. 23, 1962

Police to get new radio monitor

TARPON SPRINGS - The Tarpon Springs Police Department is to get a new radio monitor, donated by the Kwik Chek-Winn Dixie stores. A check for $150 for this purpose was presented to police Chief Nick Pappas yesterday by William B. Castles, manager of the Kwik-Check store.


Headlines through the years

A look back at the events, people and places that made North Pinellas the unique place that it is. The information is compiled from past editions of the St. Petersburg Times.