Halloween should be filled with surprise and enjoyment. So be safe and have fun on this ghoulish holiday by following a few tips:
- Walk, slither and sneak on sidewalks, not in the street.
- Look both ways before crossing the street to check for cars, trucks and low-flying brooms.
- Cross the street only at corners.
- Don't hide or cross the street between parked cars.
- Wear light-colored or reflective-type clothing so you are more visible. (And remember to put reflective tape on bikes, skateboards and brooms, too!)
- Plan your route and share it with your family. If possible, have an adult go with you.
- Carry a flashlight to light your way.
- Keep away from open fires and candles. (Some costumes can be extremely flammable.)
- Visit homes that have the porch lights on.
- Accept your treats at the door and never go into a stranger's house.
- Use face paint rather than masks or things that will cover your eyes.
- Carry only flexible knives, swords or other props.
- Be cautious of animals and strangers.
- Have a grown-up inspect your treats before eating. And don't eat candy if the package is already opened.