Compiled by Aaron Greenfield, Times staff writer
Down to his third-string QB and with a hard rain falling and winds whipping, Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo focused on the running game ... exclusively. The host Midshipmen did not attempt a pass in beating SMU 34-7. The last major college team to do that was Ohio in a 21-17 win over Akron on Oct. 25, 1997. Ricky Dobbs was the main beneficiary, carrying it 42 times for 224 yards and four touchdowns. "It didn't matter to me. We had the lead, and the way the weather was, we didn't need to pass," Dobbs said. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." In all, Navy ran it 77 times for 412 yards.
Players of the day
Austin Collie,WR, BYU
The junior had seven catches for 113 yards, his sixth consecutive 100-yard game, in a 42-35 win over UNLV.
Hakeem Nicks,WR, North Carolina
The junior caught three second-quarter touchdowns and ran for one in the fourth in a 45-24 win over Boston College. He finished with eight catches for 139 yards (127 in the second quarter) and three rushes for 31 yards.
Jordan Shipley,WR, Texas
The senior caught 15 passes for 168 yards in a 28-24 win over Oklahoma State.
Mike Teel,QB, Rutgers
The senior passed for 361 yards and a school-record six touchdowns in a 54-34 win over Pitt.
Jimmy Young,WR, TCU
The sophomore had five catches for three touchdowns and a school-record 226 yards in a 54-7 win over Wyoming. He had scores of 60, 55 and 39 yards, and a 65-yarder set up another Horned Frogs touchdown.
Winner of the day
Princeton McCarty ran for 150 yards as the host Vandals beat New Mexico State 20-14. It was Idaho's first victory over a I-A team since 24-14 over Louisiana Tech on Oct. 21, 2006. Since then, it had beaten only Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo (20-13 on Sept. 8, 2007) and Idaho State (42-17 on Sept. 6).
Benefactor of the day
T. Boone Pickens
The oil tycoon said he plans to announce a major financial gift to Oklahoma State, his alma mater, on Monday. Pickens announced a record-setting gift of $165-million two years ago for athletic programs then invested it in a hedge fund. But like many stocks recently, the fund has tanked. The school won't say how much is left, and the fancy athletic village the fund was supposed to pay for has been put on hold. "We won't come out short," Pickens said. "We will come out with more money than we went in with."
Tight end of the day
The Missouri senior set a record for catches by a tight end. He had seven against Colorado to stand at 219, two more than Louisville's Ibn Green from 1996-99.
Obscure game of the day
Brown 27, Cornell 7
Mike Dougherty passed for 285 yards and hit Bobby Sewall for two touchdowns for the host Bears, who are 3-0 in the Ivy League for the first time since the conference formed in 1956.
Number of the day
3 I-A teams that play four nonconference opponents from BCS conferences this season, including Middle Tennessee taking on Mississippi State on Saturday. The three and how they have fared:
Va. Tech 27-22 W
West Va. 24-3 W
N.C. State 30-24 L
Virginia 35-20 L
Florida 56-10 L
Oregon St. 45-7 L
Wash. St. Nov. 29
Cincinnati Dec. 6
Maryland 24-14 W
Kentucky 20-14 L
Louisville 42-23 L
Miss. St. 31-22 L
Information from Times wires was used in this report.
Up next for the Top 25
1. Texasat No. 8 Texas Tech8 Saturday
2. Alabamavs. Arkansas State3 Saturday
3. Penn State at IowaTBA Nov. 8
4. Oklahomavs. Nebraska8 Saturday
5. Florida No. 9 Georgia (Jacksonville) 3:30 Saturday
6. Southern Cal vs. Washington6:30 Saturday
7. Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State3:30 Saturday
8. Texas Tech vs. No. 1 Texas 8 Saturday
9. Georgia No. 5 Florida (Jacksonville)3:30 Saturday
10. Ohio State at NorthwesternTBA Nov. 8
11. LSU vs. Tulane8 Saturday
12. Utah at New Mexico9:30 Saturday
13. Boise State at New Mexico State7 Saturday
14. USF at Cincinnati 7:30 Thursday
15. TCU at UNLV9 Saturday
16. Missouri at Baylor3 Saturday
17. Pittsburgh at Notre Dame2:30 Saturday
18. Brigham Young at Colorado State6 Saturday
19. Kansas vs. Kansas State12:30 Saturday
20. Ball Statevs. Northern Illinois8 Nov. 5
21. Georgia Tech vs. No. 24 Florida State3:30 Saturday
22. Tulsa vs. Central Florida8 tonight
23. Boston Collegevs. Clemson3:30 Saturday
24. Florida State at Georgia Tech 3:30 Saturday
25. Minnesota vs. Northwesternnoon Saturday