The St. Petersburg Times was among more than 120 news outlets across the nation targeted by an anthrax hoax this week. A package labeled "Anthrax" ended up Wednesday in the mail room of the Times building, 490 First Ave. S. Firefighters found no immediate danger, sealed it and sent it to the University of South Florida for testing. Meanwhile, federal authorities were making an arrest in the case on the other side of the country. Marc M. Keyser, 66, was arrested Wednesday at his Sacramento home by the FBI on three counts of mailing a hoax letter. There was no name or address for the sender, so the Times mail room opened the package. Inside was a compact disc with a picture of former Secretary of State Colin Powell on it, and a title, "Anthrax Shock and Awe Terror." A packet of sugar - relabeled "Anthrax sample" and stamped with a biohazard symbol - was taped to the CD.
Restaurants to line SkyPoint building
The bottom of SkyPoint is becoming its own restaurant row. The 32-story, 380-unit building on Ashley Drive will be getting a sushi bar and a Mexican-themed restaurant to join Taps Wine and Beer Merchants, which also serves food. A fourth restaurant, a Five Guys Burgers and Fries franchise, will be opening soon. Taps owner James DeVito plans to open RAWbar before the Super Bowl on Feb. 1. It will feature sushi, a full fusion Japanese dinner menu with influences that include Caribbean and South American. Azteca Mexican Kitchen is also set to open early next year.
Falling ceiling burns firefighter
Tampa firefighter Mario Parra suffered first- and second-degree burns on the back of his neck Thursday fighting a fire at a two-story apartment complex. Part of a ceiling fell on him. He was treated on scene by paramedics before being treated and released by St. Joseph's Hospital. A Dalmatian was found dead beneath a bed in the unit where the fire originated, Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Bill Wade said. Firefighters presume the dog suffered smoke inhalation. The fire started in a downstairs apartment. No one was home but the dog, Wade said. Investigators determined that a heavy-duty extension cord used to power a window air-conditioning unit failed and caused an electric short, which ignited the fire, he said. Damages were estimated to be at least $100,000.
Man wielding gun robs credit union
An armed man robbed a GTE Federal Credit Union in South Tampa just after noon Thursday, Tampa police said. He walked into GTE at 711 S Dale Mabry Highway at 12:40 p.m. with a gun and demanded money, said Lt. Keith O'Connor of the Tampa Police Department. The robber got away with an undisclosed amount of money. The man is described as black, between 5 foot 6 and 5 foot 8, 160 pounds, wearing a gray, long-sleeved T-shirt, blue jeans, black and white tennis shoes, a black Nike cap, a blue bandana around his neck and gold-rimmed dark sunglasses. Anyone with information about this crime can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-8477.