The Tampa psychiatrist got a shotgun after arguing with a pool cleaner, officials say.
Published Sep. 11, 2009|Updated Sep. 11, 2009

A South Tampa psychiatrist told police he was only trying to get a pool service man off his property when he went to the trunk of his car and pulled out a shotgun in June, say police reports.

Dr. James Roy Edgar, 64, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon Thursday after the State Attorney's Office issued a warrant.

Here's what the two men involved told police happened, according to the investigating officer's report:

Edgar told police he confronted Stephen Lafoe, 35, an employee of Bay Area Pool Service, outside his home at 3105 W San Isidro St., on June 9 because he had repeatedly asked pool cleaners not to park in his private driveway.

Lafoe said a work order for a customer in the neighborhood directed him to reach the pool through the rear entrance on an alley. He said he made two passes along the alley looking for the gate, but couldn't find it. Then he stopped to make some notes and plug in his next stop on his GPS.

That's when Edgar came out of his house.

Lafoe said he ignored the doctor as he yelled the first time, but then Edgar went into the garage and came back with a shotgun. The doctor said, "I told you to move," as he pointed the gun at him, Lafoe told police.

The pool cleaner said he exchanged words with Edgar and the left the property. As he drove away, Lafoe called his boss, who told him to call police.

After meeting with Lafoe at a gas station on S Dale Mabry Highway and Oklahoma Street, Officer Marcelino Garcia interviewed Edgar.

Garcia said Edgar confirmed a confrontationbut disputed the pool cleaner's account about when he brought the gun out and what he did with it.

Edgar said the pool cleaner had stopped in the private drive for his townhouse complex, and that pool cleaners have been using it to service pools in the complex behind his. When Lafoe came back a second time and stopped, he went out to complain.

Edgar said he got the gun after Lafoe "mouthed off" at him, and never pointed it at the pool cleaner.

Edgar said that he was raised around guns and would never point one at someone unless it was self-defense.

"Dr. Edgar carried it in port-arm position and then told the pool cleaner to leave," the officer wrote. "He never pointed it at the pool cleaner and only brought it out because he was afraid of the much younger pool cleaner."

Edgar was arrested Thursday on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was released from the Orient Road jail on $2,000 bail.

Contacted at his home by a Times reporter, he declined to comment.