Pinellas County residents swept the male and female competitions in Sunday's Sand Key Triathlon at Clearwater's Sand Key Park.
Nat Glackin, 27 of St. Petersburg completed the half-mile swim, 11-mile bike and 3.1-mile run in 51 minutes, 36 seconds to win by nearly a minute over Tampa's Eric Hall (52:22). Glackin pulled away during the final leg, finishing the run in 18:47.
Laure Blume, 44 of Pinellas Park won the women's gold in 54:55. Blume's closest competitor was Tarpon Springs' Ceilia Dubey, in 1:02:45.
Local male age group winners were: (1-14) John-Gerard Farese, St. Petersburg, 57:17; (15-19) Shane Deeley, Clearwater, 56:42; (25-29) Christian Miller, St. Petersburg, 59:30; (Masters) Anders Heidemann, Belleair, 54:55; (50-54) Bob Brown, St. Petersburg, 1:02:01; (60-64) Charles Lohman, St. Petersburg, 1:04:34; (75-79) Larry Yost, Treasure Island, 1:26:50; (Clydesdale 40-99) Ron Wordon, Palm Harbor, 1:01:00.
Local female winners: (15-19)Savannah Dearden, St. Petersburg, 1:04:32; (20-24) Meghann MacCurrach, Palm Harbor, 1:06:02; (30-34) Megan Swisher, Clearwater, 56:54; (35-39) Jen Wrightenberry, Belleair, 59:35; (40-44) Nola Johnson, Tarpon Springs, 1:01:57; (45-49) Katherine Van Allan, Palm Harbor, 1:06:07; (65-69) Annette Frisch, St. Petersburg, 1:19:15; (70-74) Judith Stewart, Clearwater, 1:48:14; (80-84) Jackie Yost, Treasure Island, 2:19:37; (Athena 40-99) Heather Kizzie, Dunedin, 1:16:54; (Military) Jennifer Bollinger, St. Petersburg, 1:13:18; (First-timer) Giulia Cone, Clearwater, 1:07:45.
More triathlon: Vanna Whitelock, 32 of St. Petersburg was an age group winner at Saturday's Chaotic Cotee Man Triathlon in New Port Richey.
Whitelock took the female 30-34 age group in 33:47.
The race consisted of a 150-yard swim, 9-mile bike and 5K run.
Across the bay: Meredith Ludwig, 27 of St. Petersburg, won gold at Lowry Park Zoo's Zoo Run Run on Saturday.
Ludwig ran the 5K in 23:05, nudging past Zephyrhills' Melissa Tremmel (23:12) among women. Also finishing in the top 10 were Mary Margaret Mason (fourth, 23:29) and Elizabeth Mason (10th, 25:04); both are Safety Harbor residents.
Treasure Island 12-year-old Hunter McCann had the fastest run among local male participants. McCann's time of 20:22 was third overall. Tarpon Springs' Jim Hummel (20:45) was sixth. Tampa's Oscar Orozco had the winning time, 19:04.
Also, Clearwater's James Ladig topped 65-69 year old male competitors in 25:53.
Benton dominant again: Christa Benton of St. Petersburg won her fourth Canes Cross Country Classic 5K in four tries on Sept. 7 at G.T. Bray Park in Bradenton.
Benton sprinted to the finish in 17:31.34 to win comfortably.
Counting the three times she won at G.T. Bray Park as a cross country runner for Keswick Christian, Benton is undefeated in seven races at the Bradenton course.
This weekend: Two races in Hillsborough County highlight this weekend's racing action.
The Ranch Run 5K, benefiting Florida Sheriffs Youth Ranches, will start at 8 a.m. Saturday at Temple Terrace Elementary. The registration fee is $20; $30 on the day of the race.
For more information on this event, call (813) 247-8115.
At 8 a.m. Sunday, the Donate Life 5K will start from the LA Fitness in Brandon. Early registration is $20, race day registration is $30 and student registration is $15.
The race is dedicated to increasing participation in organ and tissue donor registration and to assist waiting list patients with travel and medical costs not covered by insurance or Medicaid.
For more information, call (813) 672-2134.
- Progressive Training Team, track workouts, 6:30 p.m., University of Tampa Track, Tampa. Contact Dror Vaknin (813) 846-5021, email@example.com
- Gaither Workout (for experienced bikers), 7:45 a.m., behind Lifestyle Family Fitness in Northdale, Tampa. Contact Richard Johnson (813) 238-2464, www.tbfreewheelers.com
- Marathon Training, various group runs, 5:30 a.m., Downtown YMCA, Tampa. Contact Fred Vasconi (813) 222-1334, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ranch Run, 8 a.m., Temple Terrace Elementary. Contact (813) 247-8115, www.active.com
- Rotary Club of Tarpon Spring, 5K run and fitness walk, 8 a.m., Fre Howard Park, Tarpon Springs. Contact (727) 945-8069, www.tarponrotarty.org
- Stanley Breakfast Ride, 7:45 a.m., Seffner Elementary, 109 Cactus Road, Seffner. Contact Terry Farrell (813)684-3503, email@example.com, www.tbfreewheelers.com
- West Florida "Y" Runners Club, 6 a.m. at City Hall Plaza in Clearwater, 7 a.m. at John Chestnut Park in Palm Harbor. Contact Michael Weiss (727) 644-7702, www.wfyrc.com
- Donate Life, 5K, 8 a.m., Brandon LA Fitness. Contact (813) 672-2134, www.active.com
- YTS Gills Family YMCA Trinity. Contact www.active.com, www.IAmTri.com
- Moving Towards a Cure, 5K and 1 mile Fun Run, 25, 50, and 100K bike ride, 7:45 a.m., Coachman Park, Clearwater. Contact (727) 647-6548, www.milesforhope.org
Send any information on upcoming events to firstname.lastname@example.org.