East Lake vs. Tarpon Springs is a first-rate rivalry that typically is the biggest draw in the county each season. This is the 20th meeting in football for the schools. Here are a few quick facts about the rivalry:
- East Lake opened in 1987 but did not start playing Tarpon until its third year of varsity football in '89.
- The teams have never been in the same district so the game never has any bearing on postseason berths.
- Attendance for the game ranges from 4,000 to 10,000. Students paint their faces and scream and shout chants en masse.
- The Spongers have won five of the past six meetings and lead the series 14-5.
- This is the second straight season the game has been played on a Thursday night.
For more about the rivalry, check out today's North Pinellas Timesor visit tampabay.com/hometeam