1. Archive


Prosecutors say he violated his probation three ways.
Published Jul. 13, 2010

The brother of the man accused of killing two Tampa police officers was denied bail Monday.

Dwayne Daniel Callaway, 21, was arrested July 2, the same night his brother, Dontae Rashawn Morris, surrendered after four days on the run to face charges that he gunned down two officers.

Morris, 24, is charged in four homicides - the June 29 killings of Officers David Curtis and Jeffrey Kocab, plus the earlier shootings of robbery victims Derek Anderson in East Tampa and Harold Wright in Palm River. He is a person of interest in an unspecified fifth homicide in Tampa.

Callaway was arrested at a Motel 6 on E Fowler Avenue and charged with illegally possessing a gun and drugs.

On Monday, prosecutors said in court that Callaway should remain in jail because he did three things to violate his probation from an earlier domestic violence case. He missed an initial interview after his release from jail on May 6. He missed a meeting with a probation officer on June 3. He committed additional crimes.

Callaway's attorney, James Mancuso, also represents Alaina Riggins, 25, who was arrested with Callaway and who is Morris' cousin. She also faces gun and drug charges.

This week, police expect to hold a hearing on the employment status of Carolyn Riggins, the mother of Alaina Riggins and the aunt of Dontae Morris.

A civilian employee of the Police Department, Carolyn Riggins was suspended without pay last week. She could be fired if she was aware that her daughter was in contact with Morris during the search.

Mancuso said he plans to accompany Carolyn Riggins to her hearing. He said he expects her to be reinstated because there's no evidence that either Alaina Riggins or Callaway was in contact with Morris.

"If there's no proof that Alaina Riggins knew where Dontae Morris was, then there's no proof that Carolyn Riggins knew that Alaina Riggins knew where Dontae Morris was," he said. "You can't connect the dots."

Also Monday, police said that:

-Morris' surrender came after a lawyer called police saying he knew someone who could help with the manhunt. At first, police didn't know the tipster's identity, but they learned it during the 30 hours leading to Morris' arrest. Police say the man is a confidential informer and are not naming him.

-Officials do not expect $90,000 in reward money to be paid out until they establish a time line of Morris' movements from the shootings to his arrest.

-In addition to the criminal investigation, police will do an "after action" review to "determine what worked best and what didn't work as well" during the hunt for Morris, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.

"This was the largest, longest manhunt in the department's history, so obviously we'll want to learn from this experience," she said. "We'll do an after-action review that begins from the time of the traffic stop to the time that Dontae Morris surrendered, to help establish best practices for the department if we ever have a long-term fugitive hunt again."

-In addition to displaying the warrants for Morris' arrest on the night of the shootings, the officers' computer screens showed an internal Tampa police alert about Morris. It appeared in the form of a yellow caution flag saying that Morris "has resisted arrest" in the past.

"Based on that, Officer Curtis and Officer Kocab did everything by the book," McElroy said. "They took safety precautions. This was an incident that could not have been prevented."

One of those precautions was Curtis' call for backup. McElroy would not elaborate on other precautions the officers took.