A 21-year-old man accused of shoving his girlfriend's 11-month-old son into a wooden headboard, breaking the boy's skull Tuesday, police said. It happened while Karmon Evander Watkins' girlfriend went to a store for about 90 minutes, police said. She returned home and Watkins told her the baby was sick and had been vomiting. Watkins and the boy's mother took the baby to a hospital. They were told he had multiple skull fractures and brain swelling. Watkins told police he shoved the baby into a headboard in the master bedroom of their apartment at 6465 142nd Ave. N, police said. The child would not stop crying, police said. The boy was kneeling on the bed close to the headboard when Watkins shoved him, police said. The back of his head hit the headboard. The boy remained hospitalized Wednesday, but his condition was not immediately available. Watkins was charged with aggravated child abuse. He was being held at the Pinellas County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.
* * *
Deputy shoots as gator bites trapper
A Hillsborough County sheriff's deputy shot an 8-foot alligator that bit the leg of a trapper Wednesday evening. Someone reported a loose alligator in the roadway outside 913 U.S. 301 S just after 7:30 p.m., the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said. Trapper John Wilson was capturing the reptile when it bit into his ankle and wouldn't let go, said Gary Morse, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Fearing for the trapper's life, a deputy shot the gator, and the reptile released the trapper. Hillsborough County Fire Rescue took Wilson to Brandon Regional Hospital with injuries that weren't life-threatening. The gator died.
* * *
Arson destroys family's home
Fire officials are investigating a fire they called arson that displaced a mother and four children late Tuesday. Fire crews responded to 1204 Upton Court S about 11 p.m. after receiving multiple calls. No one was home at the time of the blaze. The home was likely a complete loss. The fire began on the front porch, but fire officials did not know what was used to start the fire. The home had no power, but the homeowner was using an extension cord connected to a neighbor's house to power a microwave oven and lights, according to St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue Lt. Joel Granata. He said the power cord did not play a role in the fire. Yashica Clemmons told Bay News 9 that she and her four children, ages 3 to 13, lost everything. The family is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
* * *
Share the story of your wedding
On May 29, the St. Petersburg Times will launch a new weddings feature in the Sunday Floridian section. Each week, "From This Day" will tell the story behind one wedding, a story that finds the special spark in how a couple met, courted or planned their ceremony. The stories will be about weddings throughout the Tampa Bay area and couples of all kinds. If you would like editors to consider your recent or upcoming wedding, you may fill out a form at www.tampabay.com/weddings.