Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive


Jason Moore had a passion for working on high-voltage equipment, his father said.

A Tampa Electric contractor was electrocuted Thursday in the Lake Magdalene area, authorities said.

Jason T. Moore, 35, of Wesley Chapel was working in an elevated bucket at 14729 N Florida Ave., when he touched a live transformer, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said.

"We heard a big bang and it blew out the power," said Zan Oliva, owner of a spa and salon across the street. "We looked outside and see the guy slouched over the bucket."

When Hillsborough Fire Rescue responded, bystanders were performing CPR on Moore, agency spokesman Ray Yeakley said.

Moore was pronounced dead at University Community Hospital.

Moore worked for Team Fishel, a utility contractor based in Columbus, Ohio, with an office in Plant City, a company official said.

Moore graduated from high school in Middletown, Ohio, in 1994, said his father, Gary Moore of Crystal River. Years later, the family moved to Florida, and in 2002, Moore graduated from the University of South Florida with a degree in management information systems, his father said.

Jason Moore quickly realized an office job was not for him, and he soon found his passion on the power lines, his father said.

"He lived for this job," Gary Moore said. "He worked through all the hurricanes, and he said there was no greater gratification than seeing people happy when he turned their electricity back on."

But there was a downside: the danger.

"He said it's very dangerous work and you had to rely on the guys you work with," Gary Moore said. "I worried about him all the time."

Gary Moore said he and his son were avid fishermen, but Jason was the talented one: "He was angler of the year a couple times in Ohio, and I couldn't even count the tournaments he won."

Jason Moore was facing charges of lewd and lascivious behavior toward a minor, state records show.

His father said the legal costs - $42,000 so far -forced his son to work extra hours.

"He lost everything he had," Gary Moore said. "But he was working to get himself back to the respect that he deserved."

Earlier this year, Jason Moore had a daughter. The mother and his daughter recently moved to Texas, Gary Moore said.

Jason Moore was working so much, his father said, he couldn't travel to Ohio for the funeral of an uncle last week. His mother is still there, comforting her sister, who had just lost her husband.

Gary Moore, devastated after losing "my son and my best friend," said the toughest part for him was still ahead: "I don't know how to tell my wife."

Times researcher John Martin and staff writer Stephanie Wang contributed to this report.