The Florida Prospects, an AAU team based in Pinellas County, capped a successful season by winning the state championship April 29-May 1 in Orlando. The team defeated Lynn Haven 47-44 in the final. This was the first state championship for the team, which has played together for four years.
Team members are TJ Frounfelter (Seminole Middle), Sam Weller (Seminole Middle), Cory Hart (Morgan Fitzgerald Middle), Zachary Trador (Indian Rocks Christian), Terrell Burney (Tyrone Middle), Jordan Leston (Oak Grove Middle), James Hudson (Pinellas Park Middle), Daniel Davis Bay Pointe Middle), Dionne O'Riggens (Bay Pointe Middle) and Jacquez Conyers, (Bay Pointe Middle). The team is coached by Cary Frounfelter.
* * *
Chase Rutan of St. Petersburg won the boys 12 singles title at the May Fair Local in Orlando on May 7-8. Rutan won the final match in the second set when opponent Thoai Vu had to withdraw due to injury.
- Ricky Symanski of Clearwater Beach and Miles Holvoet of St. Petersburg teamed to win the Saddlebrook Junior Super Series boys 18 doubles championship. It is the duo's ninth doubles championship on the junior circuit this year.
- A QuickStart tournament for boys and girls ages 8-10 was held at Innisbrook on April 30. The boys 10 winner was Noah Clark and the 8 winner was Leo Alexeyev. The girls 10 bracket was round robin, with each player winning a match. They are Caitlin Katz, Anastasiya Katsionova, Michelle Nassar and Alanna Meyers. The girls 8 winner was Kara Franks.
- Dan Stefan of Pasadena won the boys 16 singles championship at the Saddlebrook Junior Super Series in Wesley Chapel on May 7-8. Stefan also teamed with Alec Josepher to win the 16 doubles title.
* * *
Ashley Zagers of Oldsmar won the girls 10-13 division at the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour event at the University of Florida on May 8. Zager shot 85-86-171 in the two-day event to win by six over Megan Carter of Georgia. Zagers had 13 pars in the tournament, the most of any golfers in the age group.
- The County Golf Association's individual tournament was held May 5 at Innisbrook's North Course. The regular division gross winner was Tom Parsley, who shot 73. The regular division net winners were Bill Criqui and Scott Lincoln, who shot 68s. The senior gross winner was Mark Wheaton, who shot 70. The senior net winner was Tom Twitty, who shot 64. The ladies net winner was Diane Springer, who shot 75.
- The CGA better ball tournament was held May 9 at Pasadena Country Club. Regular division gross winners were Juice Ahern and Mark Wheaton, who shot 65. The senior division gross winners were Brian Hawke and Bobby Kilgore, who shot 68. The overall net winners were Stoney McLaughlin and Don Perry, who shot 63. The ladies net winners were Mary Winstead and Donna Daugherty, who shot 71.
- The Tides Women's Golf Association held a tournament May 10. The Flight A winner was Karen Galinowski, who shot 42. The Flight B winner was Nancy Briner, who shot 39, and the Flight C winner was Linda Bullerman, who shot 35.
* * *
Apollo Gymnastics of Clearwater competed in the Level 2-5 girls AAU state meet in Tampa on May 7-8. Level 2 winners were Shannon Gomez (floor), Sydney Saccasyn (beam, floor), Delaney Wildermuth (vault), Katie Ritter (all-around), Lyna Alsaqaf (bars) and Anna Allen (vault). Level 3 winners were Diana Fernandez (bars, beam), Ali Fernandez (all-around, bars) and Veronique Beckers (beam). Level 4 winners were Cassidy Millhouse (bars), Catherine Johnson (all-around, bars, floor), Elly Johnson (vault) and Sherilyn Mansfield (all-around, bars, floor). Level 5 winners were Lexi Atherholt (bars) and Cailyn McCarthy (floor).
* * *
Ever wonder which Pinellas County elementary school had the best staff of bowlers? There was such a competition held May 3 at Seminole Lanes. Of the 13 schools participating, New Heights Elementary won the tournament with a two-game total of 1,324. Bauder Elementary was second and Lynch Elementary was third. The members of the New Heights team were Jeff Lownsbury, Shannon Shakespeare, Joe Mason, Tracy Daniels and Charles Wood.