UPDATE, 3:36: The only thing the Rays announced is that Price will start the first game Sunday. But it sounds like the plan to is to hope he goes deep and then use a spot starter in the second game, with most of the bullpen available to help. That would allow them to push Alex Cobb and keep the rotation intact the rest of the week, knowing Jeremy Hellickson is set to return Saturday. The spot starter is likely to be the "extra" man they get to call up, with LHP Alex Torres the most likely candidate. The other is RHP Dane De La Rosa, but Torres, in theory, can work more innings. On the other hand, he has a 6.59 ERA at Durham and just got back into the rotation.
Also, it sounds like DH Luke Scott (back) will go on a rehab assignment of 2-3 games, which will pretty much eliminate the possibility of him returning to active duty until the Rays get home to face Detroit.
UPDATE, 2:32: The Rays will get to bring up an extra man for Sunday's doubleheader, likely a pitcher. David Price will start the first game, officially it's TBA for the second game. Sounds like it could be a group effort, with Alex Cobb pushed back.
UPDATE, 1:20: Rays lineup includes Matsui but not Rodriguez:
Also, Phils have clarified that it will be Hamels in the day game on Sunday and Lee in the night game. BREAKING:
There is bright sunshine over Citizens Bank Park as the Rays and Phillies get set for their 4:05 game.
The Rays will start RHP James Shields, who went through most but not all of his usual warmup before Friday's game was postponed. The Phillies are sticking with scheduled Saturday starter RHP Kyle Kendrick.
The Rays and Phillies will play a doubleheader on Sunday, and there are a few related roster questions to be answered.
* It would seem both teams would get to add an extra man for Sunday under a new MLB rule for doubleheaders.
* If so, the Rays might be better off bringing up a pitcher and change their rotation to avoid being caught short later in the week.
* INF Tim Beckham was reinstated at Triple-A Durham after serving his 50-game suspension for a second violation the the drug policy, and will start playing regularly at second base and shortstop.
* The team is working on closing a deal with second-round draft pick Spencer Edwards.
* Manager Joe Maddon will have around 100 guests at today's game from his hometown of Hazleton, Pa.
Posted by Marc Topkin at 12:36:33 pm on June 23, 2012