Q: I've lost some weight recently and I don't want to put it all back on during Thanksgiving dinner. Any tips on how I can lighten up without being a party pooper?
A: Some simple strategies will help keep calories in check while still enjoying your meal. (By the way, eat a quick and easy breakfast that morning to give you enough energy to last until turkey time. )
- Lay off the fried turkey and go for the traditional oven-baked.
- You can cut 10 calories and 2 grams of fat per ounce by forgoing the skin.
- Three to four ounces of turkey is plenty.
- Survey your options before making your final decision; spend your calories on those dishes that only make it to the table once a year.
- Take 2 tablespoons of all your favorites, including cranberry sauce and gravy.
- A sliver of pie is all you need.
- Use the 2 tablespoons rule if you need your pie a la mode.
- Juice, alcohol and soda all have calories. Opt for water or seltzer instead. It can save you a few hundred calories.
Food Network Kitchens, Scripps Howard News Service