Willie Barrett,Anclote High
Sport: FootballSkinny: One of Tampa Bay's leading rushers showed versatility in last week's Class 5A, District 6 tiebreaker. In two must-win, one-quarter contests, Barrett dominated both sides of the ball. The 6-foot junior recovered a fumble against Zephyrhills that set up a field goal that gave the Sharks a lead with two minutes left. He intercepted a pass in the game's closing seconds and returned it 34 yards for a touchdown to seal the first win. The bruising Division I prospect finished the two quarters with 105 rushing yards and touched the ball on 23 of Anclote's 33 offensive plays to help the Sharks clinch their first playoff ever.
* * *
Briannah Nemetz, Fivay High
Sport: VolleyballSkinny: The Falcons were down 2-0 and fading in last week's Class 5A region semifinal against rival Ridgewood before Nemetz helped spark Fivay. She recorded five kills in a crucial stretch to help the Falcons get back into the match and come back for a five-game victory. The junior outside hitter finished the contest with a team-high 21 kills to go with two aces and 24 digs and led Fivay to its first ever region final appearance. Nemetz is one of the North Suncoast's leaders in kills (274) and digs (372) on a team that lost to Bartram Trail in Saturday's region finals.
* * *
Football Playoffs - 7:30 pm Friday
- Orlando Freedom at Plant- Wharton at Dr. Phillips- Treasure Coast at East Lake - Palm Harbor Univ. at Vero Beach
- Tampa Bay Tech at Durant- Newsome at Gaither- Venice at Pinellas Park- Northeast at Bradenton Manatee
- Ocala Vanguard at Springstead- Hernando at Gainesville- Armwood at Largo- Osceola at Hillsborough
- North Marion at Pasco- Anclote at Gainesville Eastside- Atlantic at Robinson- Lakewood at Orlando Bishop Moore
- Frostproof at Clearwater CC- Tampa Catholic at Fort Meade
- Moore Haven at Carrollwood Day- Indian Rocks Christian at Naples First Baptist Academy