Reliever Joel Peralta has been in town for his physical, which means official announcement should be coming soon for the two-year, $6-million deal the Times reported was agreed to last week.
Peralta said then he was very happy to resign with the Rays even though at least two teams offered more.
"I didn't want to go anywhere else,'' he said.
Peralta, who will turn 37 in March, has been a key piece of the Rays bullpen over the past two seasons, making an American League-most 147 appearances and going 5-10, 3.27 with eight saves. Often facing the key hitters in opposing orders, he allowed a .194 average, striking out 145 in 1342/3 innings and allowing 93 hits and 35 walks. He led the majors in 2012 with 37 holds.
Posted by Marc Topkin at 1:50:16 pm on November 16, 2012