Patty Konietzky thought the small purple lesion on her husband's ankle was a spider bite. But when the lesion quickly spread across his body like a constellation, she knew something wasn't right.
After a trip to the hospital and a day and a half later, Konietzky's 59-year-old husband was dead.
The diagnosis: vibrio vulnificus, an infection caused by a bacterium found in warm salt water. It's in the same family of bacterium that causes cholera. So far this year, 31 people across Florida have been infected by the severe strain of vibrio, and 10 have died.
"I thought the doctors would treat him with antibiotics and we'd go home," said Konietzky, who lives in Palm Coast and said her husband first noticed the lesion after a day on the Halifax River near Ormond Beach on Sept. 21.
State health officials say there are two ways to get the disease: by eating raw, tainted shellfish or when an open wound comes in contact with bacteria in warm seawater.
While it could potentially concern officials in states with hundreds of miles of coastline and economies largely dependent on ocean-related tourism, experts say the bacteria is nothing most people should worry about. Vibrio bacteria exist normally in salt water and generally only affect people with compromised immune systems, they say. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. If the bacteria get into the bloodstream, they provoke symptoms including fever and chills, decreased blood pressure and blistering skin wounds.
But there's no need to stop swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, says Diane Holm, a spokeswoman for the state health department in Lee County, which has had a handful of cases that included one fatality this year.
"This is nothing abnormal," she said.