New York Times
NEW YORK - The terrorism suspect who had been undergoing interrogation on a Navy ship after his recent capture in Libya was brought to New York over the weekend and was to be presented before a federal judicial officer today, officials said.
The decision to bring the suspect, Abu Anas al-Libi, to New York was made because his chronic health problems worsened after he stopped eating and drinking aboard the USS San Antonio, a Navy vessel in the Mediterranean, officials said.
Al-Libi, 49, was formally arrested and taken into Justice Department custody after he left the San Antonio and before he arrived in the United States late Saturday, officials said. Upon his arrival, he was taken to a medical facility, they said, and his condition has improved.
In 2000, al-Libi was indicted in Manhattan on charges that he conspired with Osama bin Laden in plots to attack U.S. forces in Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Somalia, as well as in the 1998 bombings of two U.S. Embassies in East Africa that killed 224 people.
Officials said that al-Libi had been cooperating with the interrogation since his capture on Oct. 5, and that the decision to move him into the criminal justice system would not prevent prosecutors from seeking additional cooperation. But when he appears in U.S. District Court today, he will be appointed a lawyer, through whom the government will have to work if it wants to communicate further with him.