Advertisement
  1. Archive

TRILBY MAN DIES AFTER HIS CAR GOES OFF ROAD

PASCO COUNTY

A Trilby man died Sunday after his car slid down an embankment near Old Trilby Road.

Troopers said Jared R. Jung, 29, was driving north near the driveway to a home at 32540 Old Trilby Road about 2 a.m. Saturday when, for reasons they have not yet identified, his car went off the road and down a slight grass embankment.

Jung's Honda Civic hit a log lying in the driveway and went into the air, then flipped and continued to slide.

The Civic came to rest on its roof panel in a wooded area about 130 feet north of where it hit the log, troopers said.

Jung was taken to Bayfront Health Dade City, where he died Sunday.

* * *

TALLAHASSEE

Legislature may give film program boost

Films made in Florida could be eligible for another $300 million in tax credits under a bill now advancing in the Legislature.

A Senate panel on Monday approved a bill to revamp the state's current film and television incentives program.

The legislation is a final push to get something passed this year.

Florida's current program has already used up $296 million in tax credits it was allocated.

The Senate Commerce and Tourism Committee approved a bill to extend the program until 2020 and add $50 million a year.

But the legislation includes a contentious proposal to require a cash match from counties where filming occurs.

Sen. Nancy Detert, R-Venice, said the local match is being pushed by House Republicans and that the bill won't pass without it.

* * *

TALLAHASSEE

New Scott ad makes questionable claim

Florida Gov. Rick Scott's re-election campaign is hitting rival Charlie Crist with another new television ad.

Scott's campaign organization, Let's Get to Work, is launching the new television ad on Thursday. It comes on the heels of two other ad buys in the past month.

The new ad goes after Crist for his support of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

It includes information that has already been called into question by news organizations. The ad contends that 300,000 people in Florida "lost coverage."

A major insurer last year did notify Florida policyholders it was cancelling policies that did not meet the overhaul requirements.

But most policyholders have since been able to keep their plans. And 60,000 obtained coverage offered through the federal health care exchange.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

Advertisement
Advertisement