1. Archive


Published Apr. 10, 2014


Deputies were searching Wednesday for a man accused of attacking a woman as she exited a pharmacy and taking her medications, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said. About 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, the man was seen pacing on a sidewalk outside the Trust Pharmacy, 36515 U.S. 19 in Palm Harbor. As the woman left the pharmacy, he grabbed her by the throat, threw her to the ground and threatened her. The man then stole her medication and fled, the Sheriff's Office said. Deputies believe the man is about 40 years old. He has white hair and was last seen wearing a blue sweatshirt with white lettering, plaid shorts, tennis shoes, glasses, and he may have a tattoo on his calf. Anyone with information can call the Sheriff's Office at (727) 582-6200. To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at (800) 873-8477.

* * *


Motorcyclist dies in truck collision

A motorcyclist was killed in a crash with a commercial truck Wednesday night on Belcher Road, Pinellas Park police reported. Police said the motorcyclist was driving south on Belcher approaching 118th Avenue about 8:20 p.m. The northbound truck, which was towing a large trailer, was making a westbound turn onto 118th Avenue N just before the light turned red. Police said witnesses told them the motorcyclist ran the red light and collided with the truck. The motorcyclist, who police did not identify Wednesday night, died at the scene. Police identified the driver of the truck as Robert Smith, 47, of Seminole. Police continued to investigate late Wednesday night and Belcher Road was closed in both directions.

* * *


Man pleads guilty in $411,000 theft

A Seminole man pleaded guilty on Wednesday to stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from a financial company where he worked. He is scheduled to be sentenced to seven years in prison. Roberto Martin Velez, 46, was the chief financial officer of Total Realty Services, a Madeira Beach company that manages funds for several local condominium associations. At the time of his arrest, the Pinellas Sheriff's Office said he transferred more than $500,000 into accounts he had access to, and wrote checks and made electronic transfers to himself. During court proceedings on Wednesday, attorneys said that as a result of plea negotiations, Velez will be sentenced to seven years in prison and ordered to pay restitution of $411,000. Velez, who recently underwent a medical procedure, has been ordered to return to court April 17 for his formal sentencing.