Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at Please consider subscribing or donating.

  1. Archive



A bicyclist was critically injured Thursday morning as he crossed U.S. 19, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

The 66-year-old man, who has not been identified, crossed into the northbound lanes of U.S. 19 near Belleair Road and traveled into the path of a Hyundai Sonata, troopers said.

The impact threw the man from his bicycle. He was taken to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg.

The driver of the Hyundai, Anthony Reboudo, was not hurt.

An investigation remained under way.

* * *


Ex-correctional officer sentenced in scam

A former state correctional officer from Tampa has been sentenced to federal prison for more than four years for stealing the identity of inmates to file fraudulent tax returns.

Jerry St. Fleur, 26, was given four years and three months in prison for wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. He was also ordered to forfeit $61,704, which prosecutors said was traceable to the fraudulent tax refunds.

He pleaded guilty July 9. According to the plea, he began stealing identifies of current and former inmates from computer files in January 2011 while he served as a correctional officer at the Zephyrhills Correctional Institution.

St. Fleur filed about 182 fraudulent income tax returns. Prosecutor estimate he had tried to get refunds of more than $500,000.

* * *


Lawyer pleads guilty, is suspended by Bar

The Florida Bar suspended a New Port Richey lawyer after he pleaded guilty to criminal charges of grand theft, possession of a controlled substance, resisting an officer without violence and petty theft.

Joshua Stewart, 36, of 5435 Main St., was suspended until further order, effective Tuesday.

According to a plea form, he was sentenced to 24 months of probation and ordered to complete a rehabilitation program. He faced a maximum possible sentence of 12 years in prison.

He was suspended in 2011 for 91 days after he pleaded to possession of oxycodone, a felony and no valid driver's license. A judge sentenced Stewart to 18 months of drug offender probation. He was on probation with the Bar for three years.

At the time, Stewart was already on probation for habitually driving with a revoked or suspended license when New Port Richey police officers showed up in February 2010 to arrest him for violating it. A report said he struggled with them on his front lawn, elbowing one officer in the ear.

Times staff