Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at tampabay.com/coronavirus. Please consider subscribing or donating.

1. Archive

Bresnahan: ECU concerns stretch beyond QB

Jeff Odom

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:24pm

While plenty of national attention has centered around prolific East Carolina QB Shane Carden, Bulls defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan hasn't forgotten about the rest of the Pirates' offense.

"I don't even want to give an impression of one guy," Bresnahan said Wednesday. "They have so much talent. ... From the quarterback to the running back to the receivers -- there's not a bad spot on the team. So we've got our hands full."

ECU ranks fourth in the nation in total offense (581.4 ypg) thanks in large part to Carden, whose 375.8 total yards per game ranks third in the country among individuals. Still, Bresnahan said he is making sure his players don't downplay the Pirates' rushing attack, led by senior Breon Allen (8.8 yards per carry).

But when they start to throw it, Bresnahan hopes the secondary will be ready to take advantage by getting more pressure on receivers to help force turnovers.

"This is an offense that, with the ball being thrown around the field, you do have some opportunities," he said. "They're a minus-one in turnover ratio, so ... we've got to make that an advantage for us."

GREEN, GOLD AND ... PURPLE?: To help promote homecoming week at USF, free T-shirts were handed out to students to wear around campus and during Saturday's game.

The only problem: They were purple, a primary color of ECU.

According to The Oracle, USF's student newspaper, the school's Campus Traditions Board spent $5,600 of student activity and service fees to make 1,200 purple shirts. Two hundred shirts were distributed before the student committee was notified of the oversight.

To correct the error, the board re-ordered 1,000 green shirts for $4,200, according to The Oracle, and the remaining the purple shirts will not be given out.

A spokesperson for the Center for Student Involvement, which oversees the board, did not immediately return a message Wednesday from the Tampa Bay Times.

ODDS AND ENDS: WR Andre Davis (bruised sternum) practiced without a red non-contact jersey. ... Senior LB Reshard Cliett and sophomore DB Johnny Ward both said Carden will likely be "the best quarterback we face all season."

AUDIBLE: "It's a game played in space now. It's basketball on grass." -- Bresnahan, explaining why he put an emphasis on open-field tackling during the bye week.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE