Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at tampabay.com/coronavirus. Please consider subscribing or donating.

1. Archive

Florida education news: Achievement gap, anti-bullying, out-of-field teachers and more

Jeffrey S. Solochek, Times Staff Writer

Thursday, October 9, 2014 6:40am

ACHIEVEMENT GAP: Hillsborough School Board members explore ways to improve the academic performance of black male students.

IN THE RUNNING: Pinellas School Board member Rene Flowers faces write-in opposition for her seat.

DECIDE ALREADY: The University of South Florida must pick a site for its new medical school or risk losing funds.

FIGHTING BACK: Pasco Trinity Oaks Elementary launches an Anti-Bullying Squad.

VISION: Flagler's superintendent talks about assessments and technology during his state of the district address, the Daytona Beach News-Journal reports.

AFTER-CARE: Three Okaloosa elementary schools look to provide after-school child-care services as the local YMCA closes down, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports.

TRUST: Brevard sets up an oversight committee to monitor spending of a proposed new school sales tax, in hopes of convincing undecided voters, Florida Today reports. • A Broward bond referendum depends on whether voters have faith in the way the district will spend its money, the Sun-Sentinel reports.

TEACHING: Palm Beach schools see a slight increase in teachers teaching outside their fields, the Palm Beach Post reports.

LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES: Gainesville-area lawmakers include education on their list of expected activity for the 2015 session, the Gainesville Sun reports.

RESEARCH: Florida State University hires new researchers as it aims to boost its profile, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE