Our coronavirus coverage is free for the first 24 hours. Find the latest information at tampabay.com/coronavirus. Please consider subscribing or donating.

1. Archive

Pasco assistant superintendent resigns

Jeffrey S. Solochek, Times Staff Writer

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:28pm

When Kurt Browning took over as Pasco County schools superintendent, he brought along Amelia Larson to help craft the district's academic vision.

The district is well on its way toward implementation. And now Larson is headed toward new ventures.

Larson submitted her resignation on Thursday, effective immmediately. Browning won't be seeking to replace her immediately.

He announced Larson's departure in a memo to principals. It reads:

Principals…

As you are well aware, there has been a great deal of change during the last two years. Change is inevitable. That being said, I wanted you to know that Amelia Larson, Assistant Superintendent for Student Achievement, is leaving the district. As is the case with many of us, we often times want to pursue other opportunities. We wish her the very best in these pursuits!

I want to assure you that our vision and mission have not and will not change. What will change is a refocused priority for supporting our schools. Our "Big Rocks"…Professional Learning System, Professional Growth System and Standards Based Instruction, will remain as our overall framework. How we support these will be more focused. We must and we will improve the coordination of what supports this framework. We will prioritize what we do as a district into several major goals. All other things that we have thought were important will be set aside. We will focus on fewer priorities and attack them with excellence. I know we have overwhelmed our entire district staff with so many things. Now we need to focus on doing fewer things, but doing them with excellence.

Additionally, we must and we will communicate with more clarity and purpose. As a district, we will weigh every action we take by the question, "how will it impact our schools?" If our purpose is anything other than supporting our schools, we have failed as a district.

Finally, I know you have a Principals' Meeting scheduled on October 28th at 8:30am. I would like the opportunity to meet with you and have a discussion about our district. ...

We have a great district that is committed to high student achievement for each of our students. As I continue to visit our schools, I see great things happening in our classrooms thanks to our incredible teachers, school based administrators, support staff and district teams. We will continue to improve the supports for greater outcomes. Please share this news with your staff.

Kurt S. Browning, Pasco County Superintendent of Schools

Larson was in Utah attending a conference and unavailable for comment.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE