1. Veterans Day Fall Fly on TI: This family-oriented event will feature kite flying, kite games, stunt kite lessons, demos and all things that decorate the sky. With no formal competition, the event is geared to prep novice kite fliers of all ages. Free. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday behind the Thunderbird Resort, 10700 Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island.
2. Tampa Bay Times Festival of Reading: More than 50 authors will be at this year’s festival, including Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist Dave Barry, Princess Diaries author Meg Cabot and R.L. Stine of Goosebumps fame. You can read more about all the authors and the festival here. Free. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. University of South Florida St. Petersburg, 140 Seventh Ave. S. (727) 421-4141. festivalofreading.com.
3. Shakespeare in the City: This is the sixth season for this series of Shakespearean productions in the park. This year, the Studio@620 presents The Taming of the Shrew, which runs Thursday through Nov. 17. 7:30 p.m. Williams Park in downtown St. Petersburg, Fourth Street and First Avenue N.
4. Kristallnacht Commemoration: This year’s Kristallnacht, or Night of the Broken Glass unleashed by the Nazis in 1938, will include a commemoration service of prayers and candle lighting at 2 p.m. Monday with Holocaust survivors. Immediately after the commemoration, Julie Kohner, the daughter of a Holocaust survivor, will speak. Free museum admission from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Florida Holocaust Museum, 55 Fifth St. S, St. Petersburg. (727) 820-0100. flholocaustmuseum.org.
5. SkyWatch: Stargazing fans can look at a variety of different cosmic objects through MOSI’s telescopes as astronomers explain what’s up there. This month you can see Saturn and its rings, Jupiter and its moons and the Pleiades star cluster. Free. 6 p.m. Saturday. Museum of Science and Industry, 4801 E Fowler Ave., Tampa.