1. Florida Gulf Coast Clusters of Dog Shows: The annual Brooksville show is a big one, with more than 15,000 dogs expected over the next 10 days. See an array of American Kennel Club breeds for dog shows, agility trials, contests and a new event, a coursing ability test. Visitors can go behind the scenes and learn how a dog is judged, meet dog handlers and more. There will be numerous vendors and a food court. It’s free for spectators and parking is $5. Bring a travel chair for seating. 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Jan. 19. Florida Classic Park, 5360 Lockhart Road, east of Brooksville. (352) 799-5180. floridaclassicpark.com.
2. Pet Parent Social Workshop: Customers are invited to bring their pets to all participating Pet Supermarket stores from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday to ask pet-specific questions, receive advice and let their pets socialize with other pets. Attendees will also have the opportunity to enter a pet-themed raffle and enjoy refreshments, as well as doodle in some pet-themed coloring books. Free. For a store near you, visit petsupermarket.com.
3. Lightning Street Hockey Clinic: This one-day clinic is designed to introduce kids in grades 1 through 6 to the game. They can join Tampa Bay Lightning players and coaches to learn. Free (registration required at eventbrite.com). First- and second-graders begin at 9 a.m., third- and fourth-graders at 10 and fifth- and sixth-graders at 11 a.m. Saturday. Calvary Chapel Worship Center, 6825 Trouble Creek Road, New Port Richey. (727) 376-7733.
4. SkyWatch: Each month, guests can look at a variety of different cosmic objects through MOSI’s telescopes as astronomers explain what’s up there. This month, Venus continues to retrograde while the Orion Nebula and Pleiades star cluster become staples of the winter night sky. Free. 6 p.m. Saturday. Museum of Science and Industry, 4801 E Fowler Ave., Tampa. (813) 987-6000.
5. Pinellas Geological Society 44th Annual Gem Show: Peruse cut gems, silver and gold jewelry, wire wrap, beading, cabochons (polished stones) and rocks and minerals at the 44th show and sale. Free activities for the children include a sand box treasure hunt and giveaways at vendor stations. $2 admission for 12 and up. 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Central Park Performing Arts Center, 105 Central Park Drive, Largo.