Tampa’s Meat Market has reported an exposure of COVID-19.
The announcement was posted to the Hyde Park Village restaurant’s Facebook page Monday morning and said that the owners had “become aware of an exposure of COVID-19” at the popular spot “early last week.”
A comment on the restaurant’s Instagram account Monday specified further: “We were informed on Monday June 8 by an employee they were not feeling well. They were instructed to stay home, and get tested which they did.”
“As such, per CDC guidelines, we immediately implemented risk mitigation protocols, including contact tracing” the post reads. “Further, those who we know may have been exposed have been tested, and have been instructed to stay home for the CDC recommended 14-day quarantine period to care for themselves, and to protect the safety of our staff, and customers.”
The statement said the restaurant has undergone an “intensive deep cleaning and disinfecting." It remains open.
Meat Market, a Florida-based chain with locations in Miami Beach, Palm Beach and Puerto Rico, opened in Tampa’s Hyde Park Village in October 2019. The restaurant, like other restaurants in the Tampa Bay area, was forced to temporarily shut down in March and was allowed to reopen in May under new capacity and social distancing guidelines.
Restaurants are currently allowed to be open at 50 percent of their capacity inside and must maintain six-feet separations between tables inside and outside. Though masks and gloves are not required for employees or customers, the social media post said the staff at the restaurant have been wearing and will continue to wear both.
The news follows reports of three downtown St. Petersburg bars closing after employees tested positive for the coronavirus last week as cases in Florida continue to increase. On Friday evening, The Galley, Park & Rec DTSP and the Avenue Eat + Drink all announced in Facebook posts that they were temporarily closing.
Concerning the development at the Tampa restaurant, Meat Market CEO David Tornek responded in an email to the Times with the same statement posted on the restaurant’s social media channels.