During these social distancing times, we are going to offer five things you can do with your kids while social distancing each week. Feel free to send me your discoveries. If you want to find more virtual events, we have a whole calendar of them at tampabay.com/things-to-do.
1. ZooTampa: You can watch actual animal medical treatments at the ZooTampa at Lowry Park’s Facebook page. Their page also has a video of a porcupine exploring the zoo’s playground and footage of Goyang, their male Bornean orangutan, giving a hand-washing tutorial. The zoo has virtual puzzles, e-coloring books, games and a quiz at zootampa.org/kids.
2. Glazer Children’s Museum at Home: Parents can go to glazermuseum.org/gcmathome to find STEM-related projects from Tampa’s Glazer Children’s Museum. Activities include a recipe for making ice cream in a bag, grocery store list math, rubber band car technology, head-to-toe movement and more.
3. Hope’s Homeschool Activities: The Clearwater Marine Aquarium offers parents assistance in homeschooling their children. Parents can find fun yet educational activities for pre-K and lower-level students at seewinter.com/education/education-station/. Activities include instructions for parents, videos starring marine animals (including Hope the dolphin) and a craft or game to demonstrate learning objectives. Kids can join Clearwater Marine Aquarium for a virtual marine-related field trip every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
4. Crayola at Home Activities for Kids: Crayola Orlando provides parents activities to keep kids busy and meet homeschooling standards. Download step-by-step crafting instructions, coloring pages, games, apps and colorful science experiments that use household items. Go to CrayolaExperience.com/Creativity-at-Home.
5. Virtual Easter activities: People hid eggs in their yard and took pictures. Now kids from afar can take their time, zoom in and out, move the camera side-to-side and see how many eggs they can find from the safety of their home. There’s also an egg hunt-themed game. For both activities, go to sites.google.com/a/csisd.org/easter-fun/home/president-s-day-videos.
• • •
Tampa Bay Times coronavirus coverage
GET THE DAYSTARTER MORNING UPDATE: Sign up to receive the most up-to-date information on COVID-19 and Tampa Bay, six days a week
ISOLATED ENTERTAINMENT: Lists of ideas to help entertain yourself and your kids at home
LISTEN TO THE CORONAVIRUS PODCAST: New episodes every week, including interviews with experts and reporters
HAVE A TIP?: Send us confidential news tips
We’re working hard to bring you the latest news on the coronavirus in Florida. This effort takes a lot of resources to gather and update. If you haven’t already subscribed, please consider buying a print or digital subscription.