Everybody relax, Jack Burton is here. And it turns out he has some good news. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson – who was originally slated to play the role of Burton in a remake of Big Trouble in Little China – now says his movie will be a sequel. (Oh, and he isn't playing Burton anymore.)
"There's a lot of things going on with [Big Trouble in Little China]," a member of Johnson's production company told an interviewer, according to a report on Movieweb.com. and Collider.com."…The idea is not to actually remake Big Trouble in Little China. You can't remake a classic like that, so what we're planning to do is we're going to continue the story. We're going to continue the universe of Big Trouble in Little China. Everything that happened in the original exists and is standalone and I think there's only one person that could ever play Jack Burton, so Dwayne would never try and play that character."
The original 1986 version of Big Trouble in Little China starred Kurt Russell as rough-all-around-the-edges trucker who helps rescue his friend's fiance from the supernatural world of Chinatown. Directed by John Carpenter, it was only a moderate success at the box office but is considered one of the biggest cult classics of the decade.
Johnson announced plans to remake the film in 2015, but obviously that mission has changed somewhat over the years. A sequel might be better accepted by the legions of Little China fans over a straight remake. And let's face it: The Rock has his hands full with other projects these days anyway.
No other details on production or a release date have been announced.
Top 5 Pieces of Jack Burton Advice from Big Trouble in Little China:
5. "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes.'"
4. "Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe."
3. "If you have problem like that again, just reach for the sky!"
2. "You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn… call the president."
1. "When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: 'Have ya paid your dues, Jack?' 'Yessir, the check is in the mail.'"