ST. PETERSBURG — At its peak in the 1980s, J.G. McCory's had 1,300 five-and-dime stores, including one in this building at 433 Central Avenue in downtown St. Petersburg. The chain went out of business in 2002, killed by competition from Walmart and other big box stores, but the building survived and is now home to several restaurants and offices. It also has a new owner — Tricera Capital, a Miami-based real estate investment firm that paid $5.98 million for it in a sale recorded April 1. Tricera owns several other properties in the booming Central Avenue corridor. The McCrory building, as it is still called, was built in 1904 and is directly across the street from a proposed 50-story condo tower with hotel.
Contact Susan Taylor Martin at [email protected] or (727) 893-8642. Follow @susanskate.