2. /

Bob Gualtieri to Broward: ‘Do things differently’

Gualtieri, the chairman of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission, paid a visit Tuesday to “ground zero,” the Broward County School Board, to go over the commission’s findings
Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri chaired the commission that investigated the shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School. [Tampa Bay Times]
Published Feb. 26
Updated Feb. 26

FORT LAUDERDALE -- Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri has spent the better part of the last year dissecting every policy, practice and procedure leading up to and following the Feb. 14, 2018 school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Gualtieri, the chairman of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission, paid a visit Tuesday to “ground zero,” the Broward County School Board, to go over the commission’s findings and what could be immediately done to stop the next school shooting.

“We have to change. We have to do things differently,” he told Broward school officials. “If we continue to have discussions about a different outcome without immediately effecting change, we’re kidding ourselves.”

Gualtieri said school boards beyond Broward can get wrapped up in pricey safety contracts and implementing laws, instead of outlining in policies and procedures how to identify, communicate and react to threats. The Broward County School Board passed a policy codifying emergency protocols just last week.

“There’s not enough basic things being done,” Gualtieri said. He advocated expediting the marking of “hard corners” in classrooms and buying items like walkie-talkies at the local Walmart.

Gualtieri began his presentation by touching on the Promise program, the Broward school district’s discipline diversion program. The African-American community, many of whom are supporters of Superintendent Robert Runcie, advocated for the program at a town hall Monday night.

Gualtieri urged for school districts including Broward to participate in the statewide juvenile prevention web, which he described as a non-punitive database for tracking minors’ offenses.

“I think where you’re getting the criticisms ... is you’re giving them [students] too many bites of the apple,” he said.

After Gualtieri’s testimony, Runcie’s staff said 1,800 to 2,000 students go through the Promise program in a school year, and on average about 30 students re-offend more than three times.

On Tuesday, the school board discussed changes to the Promise program that aligned with recommendations from the Stoneman Douglas public safety commission. They include reporting students who commit more than one misdemeanor to a threat assessment team to determine if it should be reported to law enforcement and maxing out three Promise-eligible incidents accrued by 12th grade.

Gualtieri also gave a synopsis of what the commission found. He highlighted how neither Stoneman Douglas Principal Ty Thompson nor Assistant Principal Jeff Morford knew how to conduct threat assessments and emphasized the importance of having more armed staff on campus.

He also played censored cell phone videos that captured the moments during the Valentine’s Day shooting. Gunshots could be heard in one video. In another, students wept as injured classmates were carried out of the classroom, past bodies on the floor.

“Hearing the specifics, it was very traumatizing, it was very difficult,” said School Board member Lori Alhadeff, whose daughter Alyssa died in the shooting. “Just trying to keep pushing forward to make the necessary changes and recommendations the commission is asking from us as a district.”

1. Tampa City Council member Orlando Gudes has another $500,000 for an East Tampa cultural center, courtesy of the Hillsborough County Commission. OCTAVIO JONES  |  Octavio Jones
    The Hillsborough County Commission voted unanimously to give the money for the planned facility at Al Barnes Park.
  2. Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla.
    Scott renews his talking point in the wake of an investigative story.
  3. Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren speaks at the Polk County Democrats Steak Fry, Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019, in Des Moines, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall) CHARLIE NEIBERGALL  |  AP
    All the candidates are here, hoping to pass the Hawkeye test. So far, Elizabeth Warren is surging.
  4. Tallahassee Mayor and Florida gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum talks with reporters before addressing a group of gay and lesbian Democrats in Tallahassee on Aug. 19. (AP Photo/Brendan Farrington)
    Gillum accused Florida’s Republican governor of “routine” voter suppression.
  5. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis talks to reporters in Tampa on Aug. 21. Delays in his filling vacancies on the state's five water management district boards have twice led to those agencies canceling meetings to levy taxes and set budgets, which one expert said was unprecedented. OCTAVIO JONES   |   TIMES  |  Times
    Vacancies lead to canceling two agencies’ budget meetings.