TALLAHASSEE — State and county officials have officially acknowledged 21 deaths as a result of Hurricane Michael.
The Category 4 storm that ripped through Florida’s Panhandle left a path of total destruction and has officially claimed the lives of 21.
The deaths so far included:
- 94-year-old woman in Clay County
- 44-year-old man in Gadsden County
- 71-year-old man in Gadsden County
- Two others in Gadsden County, confirmed by the county’s emergency management director
- 12 people in Bay County
- Three people in Jackson County, confirmed by the county’s emergency management director and sheriff
- One storm-related death in Gulf County
Brock Long, the chief of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Monday that he expected the death toll to rise after hearing reports of those who refused to evacuate before Michael’s landfall.