- Ardian Zika, a Republican making his first run for office, is a former banker and owns a business consulting firm. He received three gubernatorial appointments to boards overseeing Pasco Hernando State College, CareeerSource Florida and state Council on Homelessness.
- Tammy Garcia, a Democrat and Tampa native, is making her first run for office. She is a billing manager for an eye-care business.
- District 37 includes portions of west and central Pasco and is bordered approximately by Little Road on the west and Ehren Cutoff on the east.
WHAT’S AT STAKE
- Florida Democrats are looking to regain control of the state House for the first time since 1996. They currently hold 41 seats, so they’ll need to gain 20 seats to have a majority in the chamber.
- Zika, if elected, says he will focus on higher education, workforce and vocational training, and health care.
- Garcia, if elected, says she wants to improve the public education system through additional funding and better pay for teachers, and work to protect the environment.
WHAT YOU NEED TO READ
Click here to read the Tampa Bay Times voter guide, which will give you a breakdown of many of the 2018 races.
Follow CTBowen2 for the latest on the House District 37 race.