2. /

Did Miami native Marco Rubio just give the Cuban bread crown to Tampa?

Not only that, the Florida Republican ate a Tampa-style Cuban sandwich
DANIEL WALLACE | Times TP_354550_WALL_TCTcuban_3 (05/22/2012 Tampa) Half loaves of Cuban bread bake at La Segunda Central Bakery in Ybor City. The ovens they use are large enough to walk inside, and can easily bake 500 half-loaves at a time.[DANIEL WALLACE, Times]
Published Apr. 5
Updated Apr. 5

TAMPA -- There may be a traitor in the the long-running Tampa vs. Miami Cuban sandwich war -- Sen. Marco Rubio.

In Tampa on Friday, Rubio apparently ate lunch at Tampa institution La Segunda and ordered a Tampa-style Cuban. This revelation was disclosed to the public by Tampa Democrat Rep. Kathy Castor at a hearing on the premium cigar industry.

RELATED: Seven quintessential Cuban sandwiches in the Tampa Bay area

Not only did the Cuban-American Republican give his seal of approval to the Ybor breadmaker, he said it’s the best in Florida.

Here’s the relevant exchange.

Castor: “I want everyone to know Senator Rubio did have a Tampa Cuban sandwich before this hearing and he gave the thumbs up on the La Segunda bread. Maybe the best in the state?”

Rubio: “It is.”

Castor: “Ok. It’s on the record now.”

Rubio: “No Miami TV stations here, are there?”

At time of publication, there was no word on if he prefers salami and mayo on his sandwich.