2. /

Florida may create prostitution registry for pimps and johns

To deter pimps and johns, lawmakers voted to create the “Soliciting for Prostitution Public Database,” which lists the names, addresses and color photographs of people who are convicted or plead no contest to soliciting prostitution.
The Florida Capitol looking east from the Florida Supreme Court. May, 1, 2019.
Published May 14

TALLAHASSEE -- Gov. Ron DeSantis could soon sign legislation that creates a statewide registry for pimps and johns in an effort to crack down on human trafficking. But Florida officials are not stopping there.

With their eyes on the Super Bowl and WrestleMania, both of which the state will host in 2020, officials are looking for new ways to ensure victims are not trafficked for sex or labor.

“As I always say, every issue does not necessarily need a law if people are willing to take on these issues voluntarily,” Attorney General Ashley Moody, who chairs the statewide Council on Human Trafficking, said Friday during a meeting of the panel.

Some things, however, are being put into state law.

During this year’s legislative session, for example, one of the last bills passed would create new requirements for the operation of massage parlors, strip clubs and hotels.

“The human trafficking bill that ultimately passed both chambers is an example of why you do not quit until the last minute of session,” Moody said.

Under the bill, strip club owners and operators would be charged with misdemeanors if they do not keep records of their employees’ driver licenses or documents with photo IDs and age verification.

“As to massage parlors, it also is very specific as to the criteria … to own and operate a massage parlor in the aspect of behavior that would revoke your license or not enable you to operate or own a massage parlor,” state Rep. Heather Fitzenhagen, the sponsor of the bill, told members of the council on Friday.

Ian McIntosh, with the Florida Massage Therapy Association, said Friday his organization was in “constant contact” with lobbyists during the legislative session to help address the language of the bill to minimize the impact on “legitimate therapists.”

Parts of the bill targeting massage parlors were tacked on after police accused New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and 24 other men of soliciting prostitution at a Jupiter massage parlor in February. Police initially said the sting was in connection with a human trafficking case, but no charges related to that crime have been filed.

Still, the demand for prostitution is seen as a “driving force that fuels sex trafficking,” the human trafficking bill says.

To deter pimps and johns, lawmakers voted to create the “Soliciting for Prostitution Public Database,” which lists the names, addresses and color photographs of people who are convicted or plead no contest to soliciting prostitution. A person’s name would be removed after five years if they do not re-offend.

The bill (HB 851) has not formally been sent to DeSantis. But Lt. Gov. Jeanette Nunez, who serves as vice-chair of the human trafficking panel, said the DeSantis administration is “very concerned” about making sure the state is prepared for the Super Bowl in 2020 in Miami-Dade County and WrestleMania in Tampa.

1. Tallahassee Mayor and Florida gubernatorial candidate Andrew Gillum talks with reporters before addressing a group of gay and lesbian Democrats in Tallahassee on Aug. 19. (AP Photo/Brendan Farrington)
    Gillum accused Florida’s Republican governor of “routine” voter suppression.
  2. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis talks to reporters in Tampa on Aug. 21. Delays in his filling vacancies on the state's five water management district boards have twice led to those agencies canceling meetings to levy taxes and set budgets, which one expert said was unprecedented. OCTAVIO JONES   |   TIMES  |  Times
    Vacancies lead to canceling two agencies’ budget meetings.